Rebarreling to 338 Lapua

Jeremybj

Ok, there are limited options out there for 338 Lapua( I know Savage just came out with 1, but still hard to find). Is it possible to buy a savage or a 700 in 300 Win mag or 338 Win mag and throw a McGowan or Shilen barrel on it chambered in 338 Lapua and all is well, or is there more to it than that?

This question comes up alot. I do not own a 338 but from reading the responces here from guys who dio there is a bit more to it than that. The bolt face will need to be enlarged for starters maybe the feed rails but im not 100% sure on that one.

Why 338 Lapua? Is it a factory ammo thing? If you hand load there are alot of other options and there is always the 338 RUM.

Jon

You can, BUT the remington 700 action and bolt are marginal for the 338. L.M. By the time you but the rifle, throw everything else away, then true up the action. You are better off Just buying an action made for it. I have a Stiller Tac338 action at smith right now being built. I put a Kreiger barrel on it. Problem with the Stiller action, is it is longer and a little beefier than the Remmy. So stock options are small. I went with a McMillian A-5, and the smith, has to modify it to fit. Surgeon makes a really nice action for 338. About 300.00 to 500.00 more bucks though.

If I was to start over. I would buy a Remmy 700 in 338 Rum. It is very close to the Laupua round. Factory right off the shelf gun. Biggest down side is the brass. The 338 Rum only option is Remmington brass compared to Lapua brass on the 338 L.M. Or you can buy a Remmington 700 rifle in 300 Rum rebarrell to 338 Edge. Uses the cheaper, both in price and quality of the 338 Rum.

338 Lapua is not a cheap round to shoot. 2.50 to 3.00 per round for brass. .50 to 1.00 per round for the bullet and figure only about 80 to 100 rounds per pound of powder.

If you want to build a rifle that's accurate for purposes of long or extreme long range, then you need to pay attention to a lot of details.

It doesn't have to be over the top expensive, but if you're out to do it on the cheap, you'll be disappointed. As such, you'd best wait for a factory rifle.

There are a number of threads that discuss the issues with building a proper 338LM. But as others stated, there are other cartridges that are more affordable to build and shoot and perform as well or better depending on your situation.

JMO
-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.