338 Lapua...loads...info etc.

Brian,

I have never used the 210 Barnes. Never had much luck with accuracy where barnes bulletts are concerned. I have used the 210 Partition though in the Dakota though.

Jim

Steve,
been doing alright, thanks. The M14 is awaiting the gunsmiths return from vacation. It is probably going to be found alright. It was quite an experiance there.

That Improved 338 sounds like a winner. Dave has a reamer with an adjustable shoulder or something to ream the Imp 300, 338 and 375 RUM etc. He was building them all with it shortly after the first 300 Rums came in to the stores. He has dies too.

[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: Brent ]

338Lapua,

When I asked about the 210gr Barnes X bullets, I thought that I should mention the Nosler version too.

smile.gif

So if you have velocity data for the 210gr Nolser Partition, I'd really appreciate it. In any of the .338 cartidges we've been discussing.

Thanks again for the help.

BrianW

I would be interested if anybody has info on shooting the 210 Barnes with the 338 lapua standard. I only shoot out to 600 yds so I would gladly trade downrange energy for velocity.
I will be using a 28" barrel and wondering what kind of velocity I could achieve with the 210 Barnes?

Happy Hunting!
cool.gif

Brian,

Out of the Dakota with 210 Partitions, I am getting around 3150. With the Lapua ~3300 with a 210 partition.

Hope this helps.

Jim

338lapua, 3300 seems a little light for a 210 grain out of 338 lapua?

I've heard guys were getting 3240 with a 28" and a 250 Gameking

confused.gif

My barrel is 25". All I can tell you is what velocity I have gotten. If you get more great, but those are the velocity's I have recorded.

Jim

338Lapua,

Thanks a bunch for those figures with the 210gr Partitions. While I've also seen faster numbers posted (not here) those barrel were at least one inch longer, maybe more. I was wondering, what brand barrel is on that rifle, and if it has a muzzle brake?

My .338 project is a bit closer to being realized, as I sold a T/C Encore to finance the new action donor. It's not the typical rifle found here, as it will be based on a Win. M70 Classic action, left-handed, and stainless steel. That basically means I have to locate a used rifle and start from there.

Thanks for your help!

BrianW

Mine is a Sako TRG-S. It does have a muzzle brake. The muzzle brake is a KDF clone and works VERY well (I have 3 other rifles with various kinds of brakes and this one works the best). The rifle can be shot one handed, benchrest style from the bench, the biggest drawback is the gun is VERY loud. You are in the same boat as my brother, being left handed, but he also bought the TRG-S.

Who are you thinking of for the barrel work? Currently, I am having Pac-Nor build me 338-284, I have a Krieger built 338 Win Mag, a Blakcstar 7 STW, my Dakota 76 has a Lothar Walther, and they are all great. I have used Lilja, Hart, and Shilen before and they are all first rate. I think Pac-Nor is the least expensive, they charge $220 for their best grade barrel and $200 to chamber, thread, install, lap lugs, and true the action. Their turn around time should be 8-10 weeks. If you're interested, I'll let you know the results of the 338-284 as their 338 barrels should be pretty much the same.

Jim

338Lapua,

I'm leaning strongly towards a Lothar Walther barrel. I'm a big fan of Jack Belk (mostly found at HuntAmerica) and he's a big fan of the L-W barrels. My understanding is they're fairly tough to machine due to the metal used, although I'm not sure if that applies to their stainless barrels as well.

Right now Jack is busy with his eye surgery and I plan on asking John Ricks to build this rifle. Though I've yet to ask him if he has any problems with the L-W barrels and minds working with one.

The barrel will be approx 26 inches, and without a brake. If later I decide I need a brake, I'll look into them at that time.

If this rifle were a dedicated "long range hunting" rifle, I would consider going with a right-handed action. But, my hunting plans are to hunt normally (for me) and enjoy the advantage of being able to reach out several hundered yards if needed. That means there will be lot's of normal "close up" shooting, and I like having a true left-handed action for that. I also hunt in Brown Bear country, so quick reloading is always a plus.
wink.gif

Thanks again for your help, and also the others who posted advice.

BrianW

As stated before my Dakota 76 has a L-W barrel, chambered in 330 Dakota. It took a while to find a good accurate load, but once I did it shoots very well. Good luck with your project. Another suggestion may be a straight 338 RUM. It would be cheaper to do since you won't have to open up the bolt face on the Winchester. The 338 RUM is a very good and very accurate round (at least mine was). It's ballistics are nearly identical to the Lapua. I like the Lapua for the better brass, and I must admit, the "I have something that not every one has" factor. Just some more thoughts.

Jim

Brian,

Are you converting a Model 70 to 338 Lapua? If so, that would make a nice classy big 338 as compared to a Rem 700 in 338 RUM.

Last week I ordered through our Weatherby agent a Synthetic in 338/378. It will take a bout 8 weeks they said to come to Australia.

We have all the gear out here for 338 Lapua, so my first experiment will be to have a 338 Lapua chambered barrel put on then after some testing, rechamber to 338/378.

Mike

Mike,

Yep, a M70 Classic, left-handed, stainless. Now I just need to locate a donor rifle for the project. Naturally a rifle chambered for a belter magnum cartridge would probably work best, at least where the bolt face is concerened. Not sure about the feed rails though?

I won't say anything negative about the other brand, but for me it has to be a Winchester (or some very nice Mauser type clone) and it won't be chambered in the RUM version.

I think this rifle will fit in nicely with my 416Taylor and 375H&H, both of which are M70 Classics. Too bad the 375H&H is blued, or it would be doing the duty I plan for the .338 rifle, which is being banged around in an open skiff in S.E. Alaska. 'Course when I make it to Africa, the blued rifle will be just the ticket.

338Lapua,

Thanks again for all the help! Your Dakota sounds like a great rifle! When I get further along with this rifle, I'll probably be asking you some more questions. (like maybe if you had the throat cut for a certain bullet, etc)

BrianW

Brian,

Opening bolt face on M70 for 338 Lapau will be straight forward.

Have you thought of having a vertical stack magazine done as was done with the 500 Jeffries. You will be limited to 2 rounds without an extension magazine but feeding will be super smooth and super reliable.

With a second bolt you can probably have the same magazine work with H&H and Jeffrey case diameters.

One of the reasons I am going the Wby route (which I have been down before several times) is that action rails only hold the front and rear receiver rings together. So put in a 300 Wby box and follower and OK for H&H case.

I havea 416 Wby here and am waitingfora mate to drop over some 300 Ultra rounds to see if they will feed through the 416 in line magazine, which I think they will.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.