.338 Lapua load

James D.

I have a stock AR-30M. A CED Millenium was used at 10ft in front of the muzzle, (or however long their cord is).

Currently I have chronied two loads with 5fps shot deviation using H1000, 300g SMK, twice fired Lapua brass, and Fed Gold Medal 210M primers. This was shooting at 2513fps.

I am loading up five rounds at .5gr increments and am still going up... (waiting for a bang or pressure signs, 5 rounds to test accuracy and to gain a more consistent chrony reading) Each time the case is reloaded it is case trimmed to 2.716" and passed through a K&M neck expander then sent to a Forster BR resizing die with the expander ball removed. Then after measuring each charge with a 5-0-5, this is dumped into the case where a bullet is seated with a Forster ultra BR die. I don't have OAL due to not having a way to measure off of the ogive vs. tip, it doesn't exceed the 3.8" that is needed to fit in the magazine.

I have a little bit more than a pound of H1000 left, and depending on price will probly migrate to either R25 or H-870. I am not sure whether or not to stay with the 300gr SMK either, will probably use regular Federal primers as soon as I run out of the Gold Medals.

Is anyone else working on a load for this rifle? Any tips concerning the above, I am open to suggestions. (A friend has my powder measure so...)

About how much dead space is left in the case when using the Retumbo with your loads? (.338LM or .338RUM?) grn's?

I have some 215M's in which i'll use with Retumbo when my current inventory of 210M and H1000 is depleted. It's amazing at how fast the powder is used in these big cases, 70rds loaded and I might have enough to do 18 or so more rounds before opening another bottle... The sad part is after I dial this load in a bit more, i'll switch to Retumbo and have to repeat the steps to find out what works... a hobby nonetheless.

thanx for the tips

I shoot Hodgdon's max load of 94 gr. and it's slightly compressed. Stick with mag primers to light up that much powder. Really like the Extreme line of powders, that's about all I use. As a matter of fact I burn so much Varget you would think I am putting it on my cereal.

For the 338UM I am running 93.6gr of Retumbo behind the 300MK. I called Sierra and that is what they told me the max load is. I seat the bullets WAY out to get to the lands, single feed only and the load is still slightly compressed. Velocity looks good, around 2730 at 100' with the chronograph.

I have run retumbo and H1000 in my 338 edge They are both good powders retumbo a little better for velocity, however if this is a hunting gun where you might shoot with large fluctuations in temperature H1000 is the choice hands down

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.