338 improved Muscle/Blast Tamer Brake question

backyardsniper

My smith is finishing my 338 lapua improved right now. We ran into a little issue with the muzzle brake, we were planning to use an APA fat bastard but they are out of stock in the 3/4-24 tpi and that is what my guy is recommending we go with because it is such a large caliber. We did a little looking and found the blast tamer from Center shot rifles which is made in a 4 port round model, which is the same as the muscle brake I think, and is available in 3/4-24. Has anyone on here used one of these and how are they. All the info I can find on the internet says they are good equipment, I just wanted to get a couple of first hand opinions if anyone here has used them.

You can go either way, if you want the Muscle brake call Ryan Pierce.
The 4 port round Blast tamer is a 1.25 dia brake with a 3/4x24 TPI. It will work very good on a 338AI. I use the small 3 port Blast Tamer on my match guns and it works great with-out the concussion of angled brakes.

I believe we are gonna go with the blast tamer in the 1.25round. What is theffastest way to get one of those. Order it from bugholes? The brake is all that we need to finish this up then off to get painted and I hope to have a load worked up and be operational by my Oct elk hunt

I have the 4 port slabbed model on a standard 338 Lapua. The finished rifle weighs 12.07 pounds and I can shoot it off a rest with minimal grip on only the rear of the rifle. I'm shooting 300 Bergers at about 2825fps. I am very pleased with the brake.

That is awesome. Thanks man. That is what I needed to know. I dont think there would be any diffence In performance between the slab model and the round one do you

I'm not positive about this but it is my understanding that increased surface area in the brake reduces recoil. That's why I chose the slabbed model. It's a little ugly stuck on the end of the barrel but I was very concerned about maximizing recoil reduction. When I started the build I was going to chamber the rifle in AI but later changed to standard Lapua. Like I said I'm pleased. Recoil is less than my 11 lb. unbraked 7 STW.

Bugholes has a round 4 port blast tamer in stock, he also may have some of the muscle brakes left over. Greg said he was going to update his site this week, I would call him and see what he has and have him ship it. I have the 4 port rounds in stock and can ship priority mail if you want to go that route. PM me your info and I will send one out with a bill in the box.

That is correct about the more surface area the more recoil reduction. I have a very similar round brake on my 300 RUM that also has 3 ports in the top. It works extreamly great pushing the 230 bergers. I looked at a lot of the muzzle brakes and the center shots are really good brakes as well. It was just my smith made his own and they are extremely light weight..it a titanium brake. You really cant tell its on the barrel for as weight is conserned. Same here, I can shoot my gun now with one hand on the grip and the other under the rear bag. Its night and day when I pull it off. Now I never shoot without it. Also my groups are a lot better.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts