338 Federal Quickload Help

Scottytuned

I am hoping to get some help from fellow LRH members. I am considering getting a 338 Federal as an Alaskan wilderness gun, and lower 48 elk gun where shots are shorter distance. As with most of my guns, I would want to run a suppressor. I currently run a YHM Phantom 338 on my Lapua, but would hate that heavy beast on a walk-around gun. This means I will likely Form 1 a suppressor, but I don't know how overbuilt it would need to go compared to a 308.

This is what I am hoping someone with Quickload might be able to help with. What is the barrel pressure on the following:

Caliber: 338 Federal
Barrel Length: 20"
Twist: 1 in 10
Load: Federal Fusion 200 gr Spitzer @ 2660 fps with 3140 ftps

I don't know what other info you might need from me to run a Quickload calculation, but I will do my best ot find it.

Thanks!

I'm certainly no expert, but you may be a bit optimistic on your ballistics. What you quote is Federal's factory specs, out of a 24" barrel bolt rifle. With a 20 inch barrel, it might be more like 2600, maybe less, and likely even a bit less if it is an AR platform. In either case, it should be a good piece. Still should be good for elk to 300 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.