338 Edge

swebb38

I was in Mcbrides guns in Austin Tx today and thought I'd share a little story. One of the gunsmiths was talking to me about custom rounds and what kind of work that was done at their shop. All the sudden he mentions a video going around the internet about some caliber called a 338 Edge. He was wondering what it was and I was more than happy to one up a gunsmith for once. LOL....Shawn, your video of the deer at 900 yrds or so is going around the country! They wanted to know what the round was and who made it, so I directed them here. Thought it was cool to hear it about talked in public down in Tx.
Just my two cents
Stacy

Edge

A couple weeks back I was at a dealer in Rochester NY. A video wasn't mentioned, but the Edge was the topic of conversation.

I am still getting the **** thing emailed back to me even. I am glad everyone likes it. It amazes me how many people have tried to take credit for the shot. I learned an important lesson about imbedding a logo into future video clips.

The video of that 940 yard shot is what put the last nail in the coffin so to speak for me to step up into the world of long range hunting. Seeing it being executed rather than just hearing about it is all it took. I wonder if Carlock would be willing to pay some of the cost for the new rifle I'm about to build :)haha:). One question though was it Carlock who actually did the shot or was he the one doing the talking. Just like to have my ducks in a row.

Jim

Totally agreed. That video was emailed to me. It really did get me started in the long range shooting category. Before I got into it I was an average take the gun out fire a few shots and go deer hunting guy. With no clean kills past 200 yards. This year I had a clean kill on a deer at 400.
And that was before I found this website and actually got to talk to the guy whos shot got me into long range hunting.

Thanks Shawn.

Lucas

The zoom out was great, really shows how incredible the shot was.

Congrats Shawn, very well done.

Stealing credit, reminds me of a funny story. Many years ago, I was picking up something at a gun/tackle store and overheard the hangout guys talking about a big salmon just caught that morning. Bonehead describes everything exactly except says he caught it. I start to laugh and say "You phoney bast***, Pinky caught that salmon and I was the guy who held the net for him". Everyone laughed him right out of the store.

Cheers,
Rob

I am in fact the guy who took the shot with my 338 Edge. The other voice you hear is my friend Travis Reggear who was spotting for me. Mr "dirty booger" as I've come to call him. I shot another deer from that same spot this last year at 953 yards the other direction up the canyon with almost the same results. Unfortunately I was not able to get it on video due to lighting conditions.

Funny! I just got that video from a hunting buddy two hours ago. I told him I knew of guys that made those shots regularly....little did I know that one of the guys I had in mind actually made that shot...

I was so impressed with the vid I set up a favorites folder of youtube long range hunting vids. Found about six or seven good ones so far. I am gonna send them to my former archery 'friends' just to p.ss em off.

LONG RANGE HUNTING ROCKS !!!

Keep an eye on the Nightforce optics website over the next few weeks they are preparing to put up a streaming video loop with a bunch of long range shots of targets and hunting shots. I made the video for them and did most of the shooting. Mt 1018 yard black bear shot will be on there.

Hey Shawn

Have you fellas considered making a video that centered on all the things leading up to the actual shot especially doping the wind. Would be very interesting to watch the process from start to finish even if you missed. You must have a technique work out that works well for you.

Jim

Yea it's a great video Shawn, I've had it sent to me a few times always a little different description on the who and where.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.