.338 Edge Users- advice sought

Steve7mm08

I am building a .338 Edge on a Sendero action and stock and have a couple of questions.

1- I will use Nosler Custom 300 RUM brass- what do I need to open the neck up to .338?

Do you use a plain old .338 neck die or is there a special trick

2- What sort of dies do you recommend? I will get a reamer and gauges from Pacific tool and gauge- do you use neck dies only or a body die or both, bushing dies etc?

Use a Sinclair expander body,#NT-EXP, and a expander mandrel #NT-A33,
to expand to 338 cal. Easiest way to do it. Parts will cost about 27.00 plus shipping. Sinclair's # 800-717-8211

Sorry, forgot to respond to other question about dies. Order them from Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge.

Regarding your item 1: If you are going to load it on the hot side, I'd recommend shying away from the Nosler brass. Its pretty soft and the head expands, loose primer pockets, occur long before any of the usual pressure signs appear. Unless they have changed things.

That was my experience.

But, my last batch of Remmy brass did the same thing.:confused:

I just started shooting a 338 Edge, I got the dies from Shawn Carlock. The set had a full length resizing die (Redding Bushing) with a tapered expander and a standard expander. The seating die is micrometer type. This set-up is a snap to use. Also I tested some Remington brass, 106 gr US 869, 2850 fps, ES 7 on ten rds. the pockets are still good after ten loads.

Dave, I seen in another thread when you ordered your Forester sizing die you went with a hone .003 under. Would that be .363? Or did you do some neck turning before you went .003 under.

I use a .363 bushing die and it seems like I could go with a little less tension but I'm getting ready to order the FL Forester die and want to get it right this time.

Thanks

i use a 30 caliber mandrel first because it straightens the necks out and sizes them a little. then the push out to 338 is not quite as much. not saying it's necessary but it's 2 steps instead of one. i use imperial sizing wax for both operations.

yes, i ordered a custom FL die from Forster. the plus side is i believe it's the best way to get straight cases. the down side is, no flexability. my chamber is 368, my loaded rounds are 365, and i ordered my die to have a 362 neck. i turn my necks ever so slight, more like just a cleaning of the high spots. wasn't my intent, but that's the way it worked out.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.