338 Edge Twins strike in Washington

TMR

Official LRH Sponsor
Saturday marked the opening day for spike only elk season in Eastern Washington. Jesse and I made a mad dash up on the hill on our dirt bikes Friday night to do some scouting. The 20+ camps we saw on the way up was a little concerning, but we pressed on. We found a large basin about 30 min before dark and saw elk in a few openings in the timber. We watched until dark and then headed off the mountain. We met another 15-20 rigs going out and decided we better be in the spot early.

Saturday morning we left Jesse's house at 3 AM to head to the hill. He only lives an hour away via dirtbike, but about 2hrs via truck. We slept in the truck for about an hour then waited for daylight. Several trucks passed us and a few more parked just behind us. We got setup and started glassing. We found elk at first light and ranged them at around 1200 yds. We decided to move a little closer and setup again for a shot. The next spot was 802 yds to a spike bull in the clearing. I dialed for the shot and waited for him to turn broadside. He instead walked straight into the timber. We figured the next ridge would give us a better vantage, so off we went. By this time, we had 7 hunters on the top of the canyon, and 4 hunters coming up behind us, mostly standing by our truck wondering where we were. When we hit the ridge, I could see the elk. I got setup and ranged them at 688yds. Jesse got the spotter setup and the camera. It was apparently to cold for the camera to turn on.:mad: The bull was quartering slightly away so I aimed for the offside shoulder and sent a round at him. The hit landed true and rocked him pretty hard, but he didn't go down. I sent a second round and he stiffened up and rolled down the hill. The other elk were still standing there, so I told Jesse to get ready and switch me places. He got his rifle setup and I gave him his dope. A couple seconds later, another spike bull on the ground. The other hunters never even seen the 35+ head of elk go out the bottom of the canyon. A couple of high fives, then off to do the dirty work. I must say, that I am glad to have my brother as my hunting partner. Now, off to Montana in a few weeks for deer and elk.

My bull
2008Elk003.jpg

Jesse's bull
2008Elk005.jpg

Hoorah TMR a couple of 688 yd bulls is awsome! Good shooting, I guess with that much hunting pressure having a couple of long guns sure pays off. Nice work.gun)

.280fan,

Although the 1200yd shot was definitely do-able with our equipment, the elk didn't quite cooperate and stay in the openings and the conditions just weren't quite optimal for that long of a shot. We had a clear shot for about 5 seconds when we first saw them and then they had moved through the small clearing. Most of the openings were about the size of a pickup, so we tried to range ahead of where they were going. I would have liked to take the 1200 yd shot though.:D:D

Congrats on the good shooting and good dope you guys came up with for your shots !

Show me some close ups of your edge and all the specs...

nice looking rigs !!

Senderoman,

Here is the link to the original post with the specs on our Edge's:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/338-edge-twins-28218/

A couple things have changed since then....added a DE cheekpiece and NF rings. Our load is 93 grs of H1000 with the 300gr SMK at 2900 fps. The Broughtons picked up a little velocity after about 150-200 rounds. We took Shawn's long range classes this summer and learned quite a bit on how to dope wind. That helped us in hunting and our tactical comps.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.