338 edge reamer - match or standard

Black Squirrel

Hello,

I am working on my first 700 build, a 338 edge. I am wondering if I should use PTG's standard or match reamer. I don't want to turn my brass. I will be using 300 rum brass necked up with barnes 285 grain lrx bullets.

Brass will vary, depending on what I can get my hands on, from remington once fired 300 rum to new nosler 300 rum.

Thanks

Have PT&G e-mail you both reamer prints. Compare them, neck diameter, throat angle & length. After you've decided which one will work best for you call Manson Precision or JGS and order your reamer and gauge(s). Order your reamer with removable pilots. I caution against counting on using once fired brass,,, it may not chamber even when FL re-sized. New brass is always recommended with a new, custom chamber. I'd get brass first, load a few rds. and mic the necks. Both Midway and Brownells had Norma headstamped .300RUM brass, last time I looked.

I went with a match chamber and turn neck, now, when available, I can get away with cutting .001" of Norma brass to fit my chamber with .0025"-.003" clearance on the neck.
I also have had to skim .010" off the top of my shellholder to bump the shoulder .001", this chamber is tight. I do not regret my decision.

Cheers.
gun)

I have a fair amount of once fired 300 rum already, so I will be attempting to use it, if it doesn't work, I can buy new .300 rum and neck it up to .338, and if all else fails, for $3.30 a round I can buy new .338 edge brass.

Thanks for the tips on the other reamer manufacturers, it would be great to avoid PTG, I have heard horror stories.

I will attach both prints here, the standard has a slightly larger neck and the shoulder .002 forward, and a much longer lead and throat, but I don't really know how that translates to cambering a round.

I do not want to limit myself to the 285 grain bullets, there are a lot of 300 grain options on the market as well.

Attachments

• match.png
    match.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,247
  • standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 495
I have a fair amount of once fired 300 rum already, so I will be attempting to use it, if it doesn't work, I can buy new .300 rum and neck it up to .338, and if all else fails, for $3.30 a round I can buy new .338 edge brass.

Thanks for the tips on the other reamer manufacturers, it would be great to avoid PTG, I have heard horror stories.

I will attach both prints here, the standard has a slightly larger neck and the shoulder .002 forward, and a much longer lead and throat, but I don't really know how that translates to cambering a round.

I do not want to limit myself to the 285 grain bullets, there are a lot of 300 grain options on the market as well.
Then you want the 'standard' tool. I won't buy a reamer from PT&G,,,,,,, I've learned my lesson! I don't even like to use a customer supplied tool that was made by PT&G.

I have a "saami spec" 338/300 ULT reamer being made by JGS. Should work out perfectly for what I am trying to do.

Do you have a copy of that reamer print? I didn't know there was a SAAMI spec for a 338-300 Ultra Mag.

Well, that's why I put it in quotes. It's a 300 rum saami rear half and 338 rum saami front half. I have the print at home.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.