Chamber a 338 edge with a 338 rum reamer?

GNbruce,
If you mean running a 33 nos for an edge type 35deg cartridge, using rum brass, I love the idea! I have played with the numbers and decided to try a 300wsm pushed in .502" more to make a 30-28 nosler hybrid. Gives almost 3% more volume but I'm not sure how fl resizing 3/4 of the case would work. Only one way to find out :)

I already built one that way. I did the math and found it gives me a .091" flat at the start of the chamber which hasn't caused issues chambering a round or resizing as of yet.
It allowed me to use the 338 rum dies without messing with custom dies or buying expensive edge dies
It allowed me to use one reamer for 338 rum and edge chambers.
I was asking the question to see if anyone else used this method for edge or other chamberings. Can't imagine you couldn't make a 30-28 nosler with a 30 nosler reamer, using 30 nos dies .... haven't done a drawing on that one though

This is essentially what I did for my 27 Boondoogle. I had a 27 Nosler reamer pushed about .130" deep. That gave me an extra long 27 Nosler with the same case body length as a 338 RUM but the shoulder angle and diameter of the Nosler case. It lets me use a 27 Nosler die to size the neck/shoulder. The problem would normally be sizing the case web since the shorter Nosler die isn't long enough and the RUM dies are too narrow at the shoulder. I have a die for a RUM improved wildcat that I can use for that though.

This is essentially what I did for my 27 Boondoogle. I had a 27 Nosler reamer pushed about .130" deep. That gave me an extra long 27 Nosler with the same case body length as a 338 RUM but the shoulder angle and diameter of the Nosler case. It lets me use a 27 Nosler die to size the neck/shoulder. The problem would normally be sizing the case web since the shorter Nosler die isn't long enough and the RUM dies are too narrow at the shoulder. I have a die for a RUM improved wildcat that I can use for that though.
Very interesting. I am really liking the ability to change lengths of known performers while using normal brass and dies. Seems limitless. Nice work. Did you use 338 rum cases necked down to form the 270BD?

I would contact Defensive Edge and have a visit with
Mr. Carlock. He might be of some help
I'm sure he's played with many variants of the 338/300rum. The +p is interesting and I would like to see how he modified the edge to get the +p

I
Very interesting. I am really liking the ability to change lengths of known performers while using normal brass and dies. Seems limitless. Nice work. Did you use 338 rum cases necked down to form the 270BD?

I did. The whole idea was spawned from the availability of ADG 338 RUM brass. On the left is a 338 RUM case and on the right is a fire formed 27 Boondoogle. You can see the parallel section at the base of the case that was caused by pushing the reamer in deeper.
C80072C0-48D4-4C74-A7A9-39E58C40C8BD.jpeg

I was pretty sure I wasn't the only one to think of this :) Great to see others with experience in this. Any issues with the modified chamber?

I............ You can see the parallel section at the base of the case that was caused by pushing the reamer in deeper. View attachment 163268
I don't think that case was formed by a chamber that has a parallel section. Does your reamer stop tapering at the exact cartridge length? I suspect your chamber tapers end to end. That case looks that way because your chamber is oversized and the case has expanded to fit the chamber except for the web area.

we use the 33 nosler dies to resize works great We are now using 33xc as a hunting rifle 30 grains more powder then the edge !!!! 275 ceb lazers @ 3300 ft/sec 28 inch barrel

Shoulder diameter of a 300 RUM is .525. The 338 RUM is .526.
Measure the diameter of a 300 RUM .091" below the shoulder and it should be .526", due to the taper. So this should make the whole chamber .001" larger if you push the reamer in the extra .091" deeper. A .001" larger bulge at the base shouldn't make a difference. There should be a greater difference in base diameter between different brands of brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.