338 Edge - History And Development by Shawn Carlock

338 Edge data request for custom build

Hey Shawn
I recently ordered a 338 RUM (my first custom rifle) from my gunsmith however now 3 days later I am wishing to switch to a 338 Edge, could you please provide me with the data my gunsmith would need to convert from the RUM to the Edge as my gunsmith is unfarmiliar with the round.

Thanks for the help!

Snoopy get your smith to put free bore in should be just as good, instead of lengthening the chamber if your barrel is over 28 inches...

Shawn,

Two questions and I have enjoyed three of your DVD's I bought here.

First is I do not know how much of a throat burner the 338 Edge is and am curious on about how many rounds you can expect to shoot before the groups start opening up.

Second: I just read an article on different land types, standard, polygonal, and ratchet. As a builder you know a lot more than me but the article alluded that polygonal lands gave a better gas seal. I am curious which one you are using as you obviously are getting good results.

Thanks for your time and I hope to get a Canyon model next year.

I have at one point or another tried them all as far as rifling styles go. the differences in my opinion are minimal at best. I like the Hart and Broughton barrels, there are other good barrel makers out there but these are our go to barrels.

Just wondering if I can rechamber my Browning Abolt in 338 win. to 338 edge without any serious problems? Also, is it possible to fire form a 338 ultra in the edge chamber?

You could rechamber the Abolt but the magazine won't accept it and there are some other issues. I don't recommend it. 338 RUM fired in an Edge chamber ABSOLUTLY NOT .

Customer wants to learn long range shooting and has this Abolt that was given to him by a family member. He wants to make this rifle into a long ranger and is a beginner who will study at Thunder Ranch. Any Ideas on what to do with this rifle to make it toe up for an accurate long ranger? What about 338 Ultra? The barrel is only 24" and a standard Browning, He will rebarrel if necessary. Your expertise is appreciated...

Hello Shawn, Chuck here in Boise. I have tried emailing you but for some reason I guess your not getting them. Here is my question for you. I have a sendero 300RUM, in my quest for finding a good load I have put quite a few rounds down the barrel, I have not taken it to a smith to have it bore scoped, but plan on that soon. I have heard the 300RUM's have a fairly short barrel life, 1200-1500 rounds down the tube. I am probably at 800 rounds right now. So when the barrel is toast, if I were to bring the gun to you what could you do with it??? 338 Lapua or 338 Edge?? am not sure which is going to be the best route and of course money will also be a factor as I am unemployed at the moment. The gun is just about set up the way I want it, would like to get a 20moa rail & rings for it and have also been looking at the detatchable magazine. As we speak the gun has a jewell trigger and a 6-24x50 sightron scope. So what would be some options of what you could do to turn that into an extremely accurate long distance killing machine. Thanks....Chuck

I've been saving for a bit I'm almost to the point of ordering one of your rifles Shawn but like others I have a few questions I'm wanting to build on a defiance action if possible ?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts