338 edge Help

martyj

I got my rifle back about two weeks ago and just will not group.
I weighed the brass both Bertram and Nosler to keep them all the same.
I started out low with H1000 worked way up to 93 and only had two groups that impressed me and that load must of been a fluke.
Ive switched to Retumbo and that want the answer.
Switched from CCI250 primers to federal 215 and still no luck.
Ive tried various OAL of the same load even till it touched the rifling and still no success.
Ive tried SMK , Berger OTM and Nosler cust comp.
Only thing I can come up with is it needs bedded.
I came to that conclusion when the barrel started touching the barrel channel after I shot it for awhile.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mark V action (had lugs lapped and squared up)
Brux barrel
timney trigger
B&C stock aluminum block
Muscle break

It's probably your barrel touching the stock or you need to fix your shooting position (if shooting prone). Don't shoot off a bench if you can help it; they offer little to no natural recoil control. Get your body directly behind that rifle and your spine inline with the barrel.

What's your barrel contour? I know the B&C stocks are pretty forgiving for large diameter barrels, and if you got the medalist, the stock should not be touching the barrel due to the full-length chassis underneath.

I sanded out the barrel channel where it was touching now it just needs to be glass bedded.
The barrel appeared to be centered in the channel before till you fired the rifle than it shifted to the right a little.
Maybe Im wrong but I would think a gunsmith that builds custom rifles would fire them when there done.
If for not other reason than to make sure the hole in the barrel goes all the way through.

I swapped out scope rings and scope and checked mount.
I torqued the action screws and that seemed to help.
For some reason they torque the rear screw first than the front.
Thanks for reply's and help

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.