338 Edge Repeater magazine help...

Geargrinder,
In a post back from April/May, you had a picture posted of an action showing the rear opened up for a DBM modification. Any chance you could email or PM me or heck, just post a picture of the feed ramp on that rifle so I can just compare?

DC

I'll look through my photobucket account when I get home tonight.

The repeater I did was on a stagger feed action using a blind mag stock.

I didn't do much work to the feed ramp. Only enough to eliminate the slot for the stagger feed magazine.

Most of the work was done to the rear of the magazine opening. I just opened it up so it was nearly flush with the bolt nose.

It could clear a little over 3.9", but remember it was a blind mag.

Since you are looking for a DBM, I'm having a hard time picturing how the trigger guard, rear action screw, mag well, and mag release is all going to occupy the same space while allowing Edge length COAL.

It certainly is a learning experience for sure. Hopefully that bottom metal will be here Friday and I can start taking a look at what goes where. I certainly don't plan on being unsafe and was definitely aware of being careful working on that lower abtutment. After I get the bottom metal I can work on the rear of that receiver and then try and figure out exactly what I need on the front end. I don't plan on sacrificing integrity so whatever I end up with is what I'll have. A guy over on SavageShooters is helping too. He just modified his to run DBM and he has some mods to his lower front end. He just made a very small "V" to let the bullet tip through. To me, doesn't seem too drastic a reduction of material. Thanks for the help on my journey.

DC

I just talked to the company you bought your bottom metal from and they treated me like Sh!%. I told them I was building a Edge off of a 110 action and he went nuts. He said he wouldnt sell it to me because it was unsafe. He was flat out a total jerk. I told him to kick bricks

Wish I would have seen this earlier DJ. That 3.850 mag length is not COAL from accurate mag. My 338LM is at 3.765 (I think) and that is pretty much maxed out in the Accurate Mag CIP length (3.850 stamped) DB mag.

That is what I was going to say. I ordered my 3.85 from Acurate mag only to find is only 3.76 something" and the outside measurement is 3.85". I made it work and it turned out ok. I was slightly disappointed at first but now that I have used it for a while it does not bother me anymore.
I also did a very small v in my ramp and only had to go .060" to get the full length of the mag to work. You will enjoy your repeater.

Last edited:
Hi. I had Kevin cram at Mcr build me a 338 edge. He installed a seekins mag and I loaded my cartridges to 3.850 and there was room left to load them longer if a guy wanted to.

I got my bottom Metel from cdi and jeff makes a fine product im doing a savage now old staggered feed. As far as machine work on the action.!!! I beleave that the throat and a bit off the rear is not going to make a un safe gun ive built three of the so far. All are shooters. this is my first remie mag fed 700 you will see where I opened the throat fead ramp .

Attachments

• 20140107_103117.jpg
    20140107_103117.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 20140107_101734.jpg
    20140107_101734.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 135
  • 20140107_104702.jpg
    20140107_104702.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 20140107_114958.jpg
    20140107_114958.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 150
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.