338 edge, 300 rum, 7 rum

arrow

I am thinking about a 338 edge. from what i have heard, with the 300 smk it blows everything else out of the water for long range. But im not really looking for a rifle over about a 27" barrel. Will this be alright for this round or would i be loosing so much that a 300 or 7 rum wouldnt even be that far behind the edge?

From what I have read if you are going to go with that short of a barrel and want a 338 cal you should just go with the 338 RUM as it isnt to far behind the edge. Others with more wisdom will chime in and help ya out.

If I was going to go .338 edge I personally would want at least a 30" tube, probably more like 32" to get the most velocity possible pushing that big 300 grainer. I currently have a 27 inch 300RUM and am working up a load with the new 230 grain Hybrids in the target version with the .743 B/C. Looks like the max velocity with accuracy that I will get is 2,925-2950 fps. H1000 has actually produced better velocity than Retumbo. Have not quite finished load development yet but this will be a significant energy advantage over my 210VLD load at 3100fps out at the 1k mark. My point is that this could be a LR option for you if you don't feel your barrel length is enough for the big .338 300's. Also, don't worry about the "Target" designation on the 230's, based off of bullet disections/comparisons with VLD's and LR hunting reports on here I have no concern with trying these on elk next hunting season. Just wished my RUM had about a 30" pipe.:D

i get 2800 fps with a 300 SMK from my .338 RUM with a 26'' tube. youll get much better barrel life with a .338 EDGE/RUM than any hot-rod 300. More downrange energy too. the only real thing that I would think about is recoil. other than that its a no brainer.
If you do go with the 300 RUM, I still feel that it is a great round and it will serve you well. I had one and it served me well.
I would shy away from the 7mm RUM simply due to lack of barrel life. It is pretty sweet even though it fits the stereotype perfectly of a "fire breathing dragon".I think it would be cool to have one, but its just not the most practical round. Energy wise it wont come close to the .338's.

when you are shortening barrels, the larger diameter looses less than the smaller calibers. plus you don't have to shoot the 300 gr bullet. the 265 ttxs is a great long range bullet for this case capacity.

Actually I've been thinking about the 250 grain Accubond lately...
the other great thing about the .338's in this class is that they seem to be extremly easy to load for. with my 1-10 twist RUM I have great loads for 210,225,250 and 300 grain bullets. All were easy to find. I think that the 265's would be great too.

I run a 24" 338 edge and it hangs in there just fine but you would not be loosing anything but some muzzle flash going with the 338 rum in the shorter barrels and it might be a hair easier to shoehorn into a magazine for a repeater. Good luck

Maybe someone can give me an opinion here. As much as i would love to make a 25lb 338 edge with a 32" barrel, its just not that practical for what i am looking to do with it. I am looking to build one right around the same dimensions as the mcmillin "long range hunting rifle" with no more really than a 27" barrel. maybe 28". I just don't want to go through with this build and do a 300 ultra when it is "almost" as good as the edge. I figure might as well go all the way. but in a package this size could i get what it is capable of? I wouldn't really mind a 300 ultra but it looks like the high bc bullets aren't really there like they are with the 338 and why bother with the 300 when it is only the difference of a barrel to make the edge. I know i am probably confusing people, but any help would be appreciated.

I have all the ultra mags. The 7mm RUM is a bad apple. There is not much that baby can't do. The 300 ultra is crazy fun and can shoot a very long way. The 338 ultra is unbelievable. I shoot the Barnes 265 ttsx and that baby is as accurate as they come. I shot a elk with it this year and dropped it like I thumped it in the head with a hammer. The 375 ultra is the real deal....if you can stand to sight it in!!!

Get the 338 RUM. Not only is it "ultra sexy", it is a super accurate round that hits critters like a sledge hammer.

So it sounds like the 7 ultra is a no go. If i were to go with a 27 or 28" barrel would i not really be gaining much from the edge over the 338 ultra? If the 338 ultra would be just as good at this barrel length than i wouldnt have to use a custom reamer and would have more available dies. With this barrel length how would a 338 ultra with 300 smk compare to a 300 ultra with a 230 hybrid?

So i guess what i am asking is what am i loosing by going with the 338 ultra vs the edge, and what would i be loosing by going with the 300 ultra vs the 338 ultra?

I just dont want to spend all this money on this build to find out one little change could have made a big difference.

If you dont mind going the wildcat route you might look at the 338 Sin. It works in a shorter barrel !

28 inch barrel, 338 rum, 300 gr bullets, you will love it !! I would go 300 gr SMK or Bergers 300 gr Hybrid. Both are awesome at long range with alot of energy left at 1000 yards.

Arrow, here's some numbers for you, maybe this will help. The velocities for the 338's are best estimates for what others are running, you may not get this much velocity out of 27". I am getting 2925 to 2950 out of my 27" RUM with the 230. All are 200 yard zero and at sea level, data numbers are at 1000 yards.

300RUM 230 Hybrid Target at 2,925fps: 1809fps and 1672ft lbs. 232.7" of drop.

338RUM 300SMK at 2,750fps: 1676fps and 1873ft lbs. 267.1" of drop.

338Edge 300SMK at 2,850fps: 1754fps and 2049ft lbs. 246" of drop.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts