338 Big Baer in Turkish Walnut

I've been lame about more pics and shooting (I decided to go out 4-wheeling in the mounains during the Fall colors this weekend instead - should have been bowhunting I guess). In any case, I did get the scope on and did some barrel break-in while seeing what velocities I was getting with different powder charges. I'll remember to get some better close-ups with the scope on next time. I was kind of racing against daylight to get my shooting done.

I used to think my 300 Dakota was a reasonable-sized round. It looks and feels downright juvenile next to the Big Baer...feels like I'm grabbing a 243 round or something now. I wondered how 135+ grains of powder would feel...not bad actually. With the big 'ol muzzle brake and about 18 pounds of weight, she's a pretty polite girl. Oh, she's got ooomph to her no doubt, but very reasonable. I'll have the wife and daughters try her sometime.

More shooting and pics to come hopefully...

Attachments

• doing a little chrono work as I break in the barrel.jpg
    doing a little chrono work as I break in the barrel.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 79
  • nice step up from my 300 Dakota.jpg
    nice step up from my 300 Dakota.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 71
  • my quickie no-welding needed bench.jpg
    my quickie no-welding needed bench.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 72
The parent case is actually the .505 Gibbs. Most have necked the 408 Chey Tac down to .338. Aspen did not have to "neck down" either of those cases, as I supplied him with straight .338-.408 brass.
His particular configuration is capable of 3,000 yds.

Hey Aspen~ You quit playing with those trucks and shoot that thing yet?

Joel, thanks for taking the time to read and reply to that post. I love the stock on that rifle, amazing. Also, great shooting, you and the gun on that mile shot. I like your website, great stuff. Dad has a nice wood stocked rifle too and looks like he loves to shoot. 338 Baer, wow.

Last edited:
Wow! I would never be able to take it. The scratch and I would cry like a baby. Beautiful gun. I am jealous.

Joel - Yeh...I'm getting to that. I've also been trying to get some other guns ready for the wife and daughter to antelope hunt with (this week). Both times I've had it out the wind has been pretty bad (normal Colorado Fall afternoon). I've shot it over the chrono and on the paper, and even tried it at 700 yards - fun. I'll try to get out on a calmer day and see if I can see how she'll group (with me the limitation I'm sure).

You can call me Gary by the way. I wasn't trying to be secretive. I just picked the screen name cause I love the sound of elk bugling during the rut/archery season, and there isn't a more awesome place on earth than a stand of Aspens in the Summer and early Fall (with green grass and a stream) - whether you are stalking game in them or taking a nap. Takes me to a "Happy Place" :)

NCBoy - I hear you, but Joel can tell you - there aint much you can do to it that he can't fix. It's not like one scratch and it's scarred for life. If after several years I have some big dings and scratches - I could always pop off the stock and send it back for some TLC. Although, up to a point those are character marks - helps you remember the wheres and whens, and serves as proof that she's a real warrior and not just a safe queen. I also don't plan to do lot of brush-butting, boulder-tumbling walks with this in hand. I'll hopefully stick it in an Eberelestock pack and get to where I'm going and sit. We'll see. That's kinda like saying you don't want a pretty wife cause she might run away :)

This thing with some dings will still be 50x prettier than my fiberglass stocks, and didn't cost a whole lot more. I'm wanting a pretty walking varmint gun stock next. Kinda weird--when I think of passing on one of my fiberglass-stocked guns (even nicely painted), I feel like I'm passing on a "tool". Something with a beautiful wood stock somehow becomes a "thing", a "personality" - it has life and character. Maybe it's a phase I'll grow out of (?)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.