338 Bergers out.

The G1 BC of the 300 grain Hybrid is .891. This is the average BC from 3000 fps to 1500 fps, just like all the other G1 BC's that Berger gives.

Velocity Banded, the G1 BC for the 300 grain Hybrid is:
Above 3000: 0.950
3000-2500: 0.933
2500-2000: 0.904
2000-1500: 0.848
Below 1500: 0.805

The G7 BC is .455.

The above values were measured directly using my normal procedures and equipment.

I was quite pleased that the estimate (.892) turned out so close to the measured value (.891) for this bullet. I attribute the near perfect estimate mostly to luck, as such estimations are normally only good to +/-10%.

According to the estimations, the VLD may only have a BC that's higher than the hybrid by ~2.5%. It's my prediction that the Hybrid will end up being more popular than the VLD because of the hybrids demonstrated lack of sensitivity to seating depth. In other words, you can spend your time and barrel life tweaking the VLD to get that extra 2.5% of BC, or you can choose the hybrid which is much easier to find precisely grouping loads and has almost equal ballistic performance.

The .338 caliber 300 grain Hybrid bullets have not been tested for terminal expansion yet so we cannot responsibly recommend them for hunting. Based on the results of terminal ballistics testing, we'll make an informed decision and recommendation regarding the suitability of these bullets for hunting applications.

-Bryan

Last edited:
The G1 BC of the 300 grain Hybrid is .891. This is the average BC from 3000 fps to 1500 fps, just like all the other G1 BC's that Berger gives.

The G7 BC is .455.

The above values were measured directly using my normal procedures and equipment.

I was quite pleased that the estimate (.892) turned out so close to the measured value (.891) for this bullet. I attribute the near perfect estimate mostly to luck, as such estimations are normally only good to +/-10%.

According to the estimations, the VLD may only have a BC that's higher than the hybrid by ~2.5%. It's my prediction that the Hybrid will end up being more popular than the VLD because of the hybrids demonstrated lack of sensitivity to seating depth. In other words, you can spend your time and barrel life tweaking the VLD to get that extra 2.5% of BC, or you can choose the hybrid which is much easier to find precisely grouping loads and has almost equal ballistic performance.

The .338 caliber 300 grain Hybrid bullets have not been tested for terminal expansion yet so we cannot responsibly recommend them for hunting. Based on the results of terminal ballistics testing, we'll make an informed decision and recommendation regarding the suitability of these bullets for hunting applications.

-Bryan

Bryan,

Thanks for setting me straight on the average bc issue. I'd forgotten that Berger does that, and thank you also for the other info.

It'll be interesting to see what the hybrid does in terms of terminal performance.

Jon

This is the bullet topshot has been waiting for.

It will extend the supersonic ability of the SMK for

another 400 yards more. At standard conditions for

5000 ft elevation, this new bullet is supersonic to 2400 yards.

Cool!!!! And that's from an initial muzzle velocity of 2800 ft/sec.

I'm gonna scrounge me up some and find me another great big boar of at least 650 pounds.

We'll see if these new fangled hybrid thingies will match up with the performance of the 25 cal offerings that blew everything else out of the water that day.:D:D

Eaglet,
You are so right. We have all be waiting for a readily available high B.C. alternative to the Sierra SMK.

As our hunting season is just getting underway. If I can get hold of some of these bullets, I will shoot some game with them and give a full report of my findings to LRH. That way you will have a good idea what they will perform like when your hunting season comes about latter in the year.

Bryan, the Hybrid sounds like it could be more user friendly than the VLD. Will we need a special VLD bullet seater to seat the .338 Hybrid bullet? Also has it got a Berger part number so that I can get my importer to order some.

Now I just need to get hold of some!

Last edited:

The G7 BC is .455.

-Bryan

Bryan, durring your testing, what barrel length and twist did you use? I'm currious as to what COAL worked well, jammed or jumped?

thanks.

I have been furiously crunching these number and WOW! I loaded the G7 BC of the Berger out of say a 338LM improved at 3000FPS and a 338 AM @ 3300fps with a Sierra in the G7 and they are running neck and neck, the 338AM with the Berger actually stays sonic past the capabilities of LoadBase which is 3000yrds.

It looks like it is extending the 338 EDGE 400yrds !!!!!!:cool::D

I'm stuck here with NOTHING that slings a 338 bullet, BUMMER!!!

Topshot,

I still have the trajectory from your 2285 yrd shooting earlier in the year in my Loadbase 3.0 and I ran a comparison just changing the bullet to the Berger and here's what I got:

2285 yrds 300gr Sierra 117.6 MOA, 300gr Berger 96.8 MOA.
Velocity was 931 fps for the Seirra and 1047 fps for the Berger. The Seirra goes sub sonic at 1770 yrds and the Berger at 2110 yrds.

Topshot,

I still have the trajectory from your 2285 yrd shooting earlier in the year in my Loadbase 3.0 and I ran a comparison just changing the bullet to the Berger and here's what I got:

2285 yrds 300gr Sierra 117.6 MOA, 300gr Berger 96.8 MOA.
Velocity was 931 fps for the Seirra and 1047 fps for the Berger. The Seirra goes sub sonic at 1770 yrds and the Berger at 2110 yrds.
Bigngreen,
An extra 400 Yards!!!! Wow.
I will definately shoot them at +2200 yards and compare them with the SMK and Hornady results for stability and B.C.
Fun times ahead.:D

Sorry I can't tell you where I got the 300 gr bergers.But the G1 .891 that I posted at the opening is printed on the Berger box with the G7.I'm leaving for prince of wales alaska to hunt black bear.We are going to try and get three bears with the berger 300 gr.I will get pictures and the recovered bullets and share the results with the forum. Leaving May 23rd and won't be back till after June 10.Time to fish and test the bergers. keep your powder dry.gun)

Exactly DUH...

The world of high BC VLD type .338 bullet market is there for the taking. I hope the press has a high capacity rate when it gets up and running at full speed!
There is huge market there and I wonder why in the year 2010 with CNC equipent Laser cutters, etc why is it taking this long? I understand development time but surely we have enough clever people left that can make this happen sooner than later. Investment capital for a .338 press and jacket making would be returned very quickly I think in the world market.

Can anyone enlighten me to when the public launch of the bullets will take place ?

400 yards more for the EDGE sounds GROOVY BABY !

DUH

I called Berger a couple of days ago and the gal that answered the phone said 4-6 wks...probably closer to 4. She had no info (pricing, timing of release, etc.) at all on the VLD, so who knows the timeframe on that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.