338 Bergers out.

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by sgt.caldwell, Apr 30, 2010.

1. sgt.caldwell

sgt.caldwell Member

gun)just for information .Berger has shipped some of the new 338 bullets.I have only seen the 300 gr with a BC of .891.I'm taking a few to alaska to get a black bear the end of may.

2. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

That's the hybrid. Hope the VLD isn't far behind. Let us know how they do for you.

3. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

My goodness, that's good news!!!

4. steadyrest1

steadyrest1 Active Member

Maybe now thier jacket machine will be fixed so 7mm bullets ordered in Jan will be shipped before hunting season is upon us!!!

5. tackdriver10

tackdriver10 Well-Known Member

Well, thats a start. I just hope that when they really start to hit the shelves, that we will be able to get them. I'm quite sure they will go fast, and then we wait again while they are on backorder..

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Well-Known Member

Is that G1 or G7 that is .891.1 ?

Thanks BB

7. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

It's a velocity banded G1 only for 3K fps and above.

8. bigbuck

bigbuck Well-Known Member

Thanks Jmden but i'm not sure I understand what .891 velocity banded means are you saying that the .338 300 grainer has a bc of .891 as long as it stays 3k fps and above ? What does the 300 SMK have as far as velocity banded ? I'm trying to see if the 300 berger is any better as far as numbers. Thanks BB

9. new shooter

new shooter Well-Known Member

Most 338 that the average hunter has will not do 3,000 fps with a 300gr bullet.

10. elkaholic

elkaholic Well-Known Member

Any word on the B.C. for the VLD?.....Rich

11. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

See stuff in bold above...

12. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Bryan Litz's predictive modeling put it at .914 G1 bc at 3K or above. This from "Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting". He predicted the hybrid at G1 of .892. Acc'd to the OP, it has a .891. Not sure where the OP got this...hopefully it's experimentally derived data from Litz's work. If so, it shows Litz's predictive modeling to be pretty darn accurate.

13. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Very true. That's the only number that I'm aware of for this bullet at this point besides a predicted G7 of .456. However, that's more or less the industry (misleading) standard on how to give out G1 bc's--the number for 3K and above. Take the same bullet and test it at 2K or 2.5K and often the G1 bc number drops, sometimes dramatically. Who wants to advertise a lower, albeit potentially more accurate average G1 bc? Doesn't make your bullet look very good next to the other guys.

14. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

Seems more often than not someone from Berger is all over these types of threads.

Would be nice to hear from those Berger folks that are usually here and often quick to debunk other claims of BC and such.

There has been soooo much hype pertaining to the Berger .338 bullets and their BC and or release date that I'm going to stick with my I'll believe it when I see it. :)

I did hear that Dave Kiff at PT&G did some testing with some and was pretty impressed with the results.