338-378 Versus 338 Rum

Ok thanks for all the help.
I think I'm going go with the 338 Edge.
Anyone have any pet loads they would like to pass long for me to start out with on my load development?

Quigley,
The pet load for my Edge is a 300gr SMK over 96grs of H869, Rem brass and Fed match primers. Not a max load, but shoots 1/4 inchers. The 300gr SMK was devastating on the deer I shot at 450yds last November. Do it man, do it! You won't regret it!

To throw my two cents in, I have a sako m995 trg/s that I will be building off of. Mine happened to start life as a .338 win mag. For cost sake I would go with the 338RUM, but the availability of the weatherby ammo is much better. I also reload, but am slightly intimidated with the idea of necking up 300RUM to make the 338 edge ammo. The 338 run is within the range to fit accuracy international CIP length mags which are used in several chassis like the KRG W3C folder that I plan to use on my sako. I prefer the sako to the weatherby action due to the 3 large lugs on the bolt rather than having 9 small ones. Both have the 60 degree bolt throw but I see much more strength and the action was developed for large 338s I.e. .338 LM. Not to mention that the bolt knob on the TRG is straight and is basically a bolt, so definitely easy to upgrade.

Good luck, Leadfarmer

My son has a 338x378 w/a 30" barrel built on the 995 Saco action.
His is set up as a single shot. With 300 smks or Bergers max velocity is 2950 using
retumbo. Slightly higher using the old surplus h570.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.