338-378 Versus 338 Rum

Quigley_Sharps

Looking for a 338 Long range hunting rifle.
I have a been a reloader for 20 years.
I have been shooting and hunting with a 300 Rum and am looking for something in the 338 long range class.
Give me your opinions on each of these.
The Weatherby would be in the Accumark Rifle
And the Rum would be in the SS Synthetic factory rifle for now.
I am a elk hunter and in Eastern Oregon
I shoot long range targets if not on a daily basis then weekly at the very least.

I'm assuming that you reload , if that is the case I'd get the 338RUM and have it rechambered to 338Edge. The 338-378Wby is the faster and flatter of the two but at nearly $100 a box of loaded shells and half that for 20 pieces of brass that alone would keep me away from the big Wby.

I realy don't think that one would realy see that big of a dfferance between the 338Edge and the Wby but the differance between the big Wby and the regular 338Rum might be problematic to some shooters , either will get you to 1000yds and more

Quigley

The 338/378 is currently the most powerful factory 338.

The 338 RUM is not very far behind in fact it is real close
to the big Weatherby and faster than the 340 with big bullets.

Not long ago I had the 338 bug and went through the same
thing you are going through,and this is what I decided.

I just happened to have a MK 5 Weatherby action and thought
with the extra .100 thousand magazine length and with the
338 RUM being slightly shorter ,It should be a good combo.

I was right the extra magazine length allows me to seat the bullets
long saving space normaly used up with deep seated bullets. In fact
it holds all most as much as the 338/300 RUM.

Weatherby uses the magazine box to hold the rounds center'ed
for better feeding, and this work's very good for the big beltless
RUM and is easy to adjust (no milling of the rails).

With this set up I shoot 200gr to 250gr hunting bullets and 300gr
SMK's with no problem's.

Just my opinion
J E CUSTOM

I agree with James. I have a .338 x .378 Wby and and wouldn't trade it for anything. But I have to load for it though. Factory ammo is right at $5 a shot. Last time I bought hulls, even they were over $2 each, so even counting on using the once fired factory brass, you're still into factory ammo at over $3 a shot, (one less loading than factory brass).

I'd go with the .338 Rum right off (~60 cents/hull), no fire forming and plenty potent out of the box. You can always sink the chamber to the Edge later if you want to. The Wby bolt face has to be a std magnum, The .378 face is larger than the rebated Rum extraction rim).

This is a case where you can't lose; either of these cartridges is Elk poison, and 1,000yd capable.

Enjoy, Tom

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick replies, Yes, I do reload, and cost doesn't have that much of a bearing on this.
The 338Edge is and improved 338 Rum I'm assuming, and info on this?
Anyone have ballistic comparisons between the three?
I have reloaded for the 30-378 and found the accuracy as good as any factory rifle out there.
Right at this moment I'm going to start with a factory rifle and build from there.
Re chambering a rifle isn't a problem either.

Well if it were me I'd get a Rem 700 in 338Rum , probably a Sendero if one could be found , that way later if the standard 338 RUM doesen't work out then it can be rechambered to the 338 Edge which by the way is the 300 RUM necked up thats it the shoulders on the 300 are a bit taller than the 338.
If its to be rebarreled latter than use a Wyatt's box and rechamber to 338 Lapua improved which would run right with the 338-378Wby and the brass would last alot longer ,in fact I think that Kirby Allen's round will run faster than the 338-378 if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not saying that the Wby MK-V action isin't any good its just that the Rem 700 will work , cost less and has alot more options. when its time to build on.

You can chamber the 338 Edge in a Rem 700 action and set it up to handle a 3.9" COAL... Easily.... And get 2800 to 2850 FPS with 300 grain SMKs
The 338 Edge is the 300 RUM necked up as has already been mentioned and will hold about 6 to 8 grains more powder than the 338 RUM does.....

If you are going to shoot the 300gr SMKs, then I would get the 338/378. I have one of these and it is extremely accurate.

If you are going to shoot the 225 Nosler Accubonds, then I would ge the 338 RUM. I also have one of these and am very impressed with the caliber. Get some H1000 and a 5-1/2 foot drop tube and filler her up.

Finally, I will mention the 338 Lapua. I also have one of these in the standard and the improved version. For what it is worth, I would choose the 338RUM over either of these as the gain is not very much with the heavier bullets and it is a dead heat with the 225 Accubonds.

My 338 RUM was a project that had limitations on the magazine length since it was a vintage custom repeater action. Anyway, it equals the 338 lapua in velocity with the 225 accubonds and has a slight edge in accuracy.

Good luck in your choice(s)

Chawlston

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts