338/378 Vs 338LUPRA

Sourdough

I'm looking at a custom Ruger #1 in 338/378, and a Interarms AR-30 in 338LUPRA. Looking for openions on which would be best. The 338/378 has a slight edge in velocity, but I don't think it is enough to make a noticable differance. I'll be shooting Alaskian game with it. I actually like the AR-30 best, but my partner has heard some bad things about it. Does anyone out there shoot an AR-30? If so what do you think of it?

Something (everything) about the AR-30 that just doesn't make it "feel" like a hunting rifle.

$1,600 worth of UGLY too!

I'd much rather have a Ruger #1 providing that it shoots well. There is no sense in "just missing" a game animal with all that power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How about a nice Rem 700 in 338Edge??

Of those two choices I'd pick the AR.

The #1 is more pleasing to look at. The results of shooting the AR will be more pleasing. (way less finicky and way less tinkering).

The ruger #1 is tricky to get to shoot extremely accurately. Plus the relatively light weight for such a large cartridge. The recoil with out a brake is a slobber knocker for sure.

I shoot a 338 Lapua Ack Imp and I think that is a better cartridge to go to. Good brass, easy to get and cost is only $1 each and last a long time. Mine is only 2875 fps right now, but I am 5 grains below max also. You can run the 338 Lapua AI at over 3000 fps with 300 gr SMKs.

I think I would look at a good custom action single shot with the 338 Lapua AI. If you want a bolt and mag go with CZ 550. Bruce Baer is selling the Lawton actions right now for $795 on an action that is 1.60" in diameter and has a 3/4 bolt diameter and any bolt port configuration, so it is plenty of action to use for either cartridge. Go to his website and look at his Baer line of cartridges which are basically the same and proven. www.baercustomrifles.com BR quality and all you need to do is add trigger (Rem), barrel $500 and stock (take your pick)

BH

Doesn't SAKO make a 338 Lapua? If so, that might be the way to go. Or maybe a Remington in one of the Ultra Mag calibers?

"Alaskan game" as in Big Bears and Moose? If so you probably wont be shooting too long range. Sheep and other smaller species are a different story.

Good Luck!

Right now I am shooting Moose at 500 yards with a TCR in .338 Win Mag. My hunting partner is shooting them a 600 with his .378 Wtby. I want to move on out to 800 for Moose and Caribou. Also for Black Bears. Wolves I would like to be able to hit at 1000 yards.

[ QUOTE ]
I want to move on out to 800 for Moose and Caribou. Also for Black Bears. Wolves I would like to be able to hit at 1000 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the same rifle??

If yes, then 338-300RUM Improved or 338 Edge or the 7mm Allen Magnum.

Just a tho't....

The very thought of trucking my ar30 thru the woods and over the hills makes me hurt! It's pretty much a bench only gun, unless you enjoy cruel and unusual punishment. Every surface on the gun has a sharp edge or protrusion that will tear your back up. If I were going to carry a rifle for big game I would drop the cash for a sako TRG42 in 338LM. If you're on a budget sako makes a few hunting rifles in 338LM for about the same money as the AR30. Nothing wrong with the ruger, just not sure I want to take a chance on the one. I've been bitten by a bad rifle in the past, and they made no attempt to fix it when it was sent back to them. The barrel is 48 moa out of true (down)when sent for evaluation to my local gunsmith. Not that all their rifles are like that, I was just"lucky". Most everything with the sako name on it is of the best quality for the price. Be sure to think about lugging that gi-normous boomstick thru the woods before you buy a 16 lb rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My partner is packing a .50 BMG. Can't remember what make it is, has a laminated wooden stock, and is twice as heavy as the AR-30. We're old men, so we don't pack them anymore. We ride either a track rig, 4-wheeler, swamp buggy, or snow machine. Mostly the snow machine and 4-wheeler. We got cases just for them on the back or in our trailers or sleds. Weight is not a problem. I'm loosing the energy out past 700 yards to kill a wolf with my 06, and the .338 Win Mag is loosing too much to kill a Moose or bear at that range. As for wolves with the same gun? Yes if I can hit and kill a wolf everyshot I feel I then can hit a Moose, Caribou, or Black Bear. People down south use cayotes to prove their equipment, we use wolves. Cayotes are scarce here,Wolves eat them.

Bounty,
Can your fire regular 338 LM rounds in the AI version? If so, are either velocity or accuracy of the regular LM round affected?

Firing the stock dimension rounds in an AI chamber fire forms the brass to AI spec, accuracy on most AI's is the same as far as I can tell. Last hunting trip one of the guys was forming all his brass in his 243 AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts