338-378 mag box question.

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by lovdasnow, Sep 30, 2010.

1. lovdasnow

lovdasnow Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a weatherby single stack mag box, spring, and follower for a custom build I'm starting right now. my smith said to get the weatherby one because it feeds better, but I can't find one anywhere.

looked on brownells, midway, and googled around. maybe I'm just overlooking the obvious. could you guys point me in the right direction, or give me a better idea if there is something better.

thanks again

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Go to the Weatherby site and get the number to call them, there customer service is great.

Ask them for a 378 mag box and flat top follower, they will have it to you in a few days.

J E CUSTOM

3. lovdasnow

lovdasnow Well-Known Member

dang they are closed fridays. thanks again.

4. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

JEcustom is right on the money. Wby service is second to none. I have got several of those from them.

5. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

Ok, probably another stupid question, but help me understand why a 378wby has a different or longer mag box than does a 338-378wby???

6. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

It is a bigger longer round than the other Weatherbys (300,340 ETC.)

If you are going to build a rifle on a 378 case and you have one of the smaller rounds
    you will probably have to mill the bolt stop slot in the bolt a little longer in addition to
    opening the bolt face. if not a 378 case the mag box will work by simply bending the
    ears on the mag box in untill they hold the round.

Let us know If we can help answer any more Questions.

J E CUSTOM