338-375 Ruger or 330 Dakota

Idaho Trecker

I have just purchased a Sako 85 Classic in 338 win mag and am looking to rechamber the existing barrel and get the use out of it since I'm not made of money to rebarrel it after the purchase. I have heard all the stuff about getting a custom cartridge and i do realize the extra costs for starting it but I do have enough green for that. I know that there are other cartridges out there on par with the two that I'm describing but these are the two that I have narrowed it down to. I was wondering if anyone out there has made the 338-375 ruger and if forming brass is a simple act of necking it down if all other specs are kept the same. Also, anyone who has either cartridge I would appreciate their knowledge and thoughts on them and any possible expectations on velocity from a 24" barrel. I plan on shooting 250 grain bullets.

Thanks all,
Ryan

Forming the brass shouldn't be an issue, but chances are you'll need to get whoever does the work will have to build your dies. PT&G has specials on their resize die reamers and blanks, I'd just order your chamber reamer & rz reamer & blanks at the same time. I'd recommend re-barreling rather than re-chambering though, as the Sako barrels are glass hard and will beat up the reamer. I put togeather two 7-375 rugers this winter and am very pleased with the results. You should be able to use 338 Dakota data to start you loading. The case will load an exra 5-10 grains powder than the Dakota so it should do well!

That sound like a good plan and I'm glad to hear some more about the 375 ruger being used for a parent cartridge. I am going to have to re chamber though since I cant afford to re barrel for a long time.

If you decide to make a 338/375 Ruger. You can use a 338 RCM die set to get started. The 375 Ruger and 338 RCM share the same shoulder diameter and angle. Necking down is easy. You could use the seater die first to partially neck down which would make it even easier.

A 375 Ruger FL die could be used for the body taper shoulder setback.

Whidden makes a great FL/ bushing and seater die set if you want to go custom.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.