7mm or 330 dakota on a Savage?

midnightmalloy

I have been searching for an answer and cant find one.

Can you build a LEFT HAND savage in the dakota cartriges (7mm, 300, 330)? case head is .545 and i cant find anything that i can buy or how someone has converted theirs to do this. it seems easy, just open up a magnum bolt face by 10 thousanths and your good. but I would like to hear if someone or a gunsmith has actually done this. Left hand guns and actions are hard to find and normally more expensive than you right handed guys can get. so wanting to know about the savage and if its possible.

That's the nice thing about the Savage, its versatility. It can be done with a knowledgeable gunsmith. My cousin had a bolt face opened up to the Lapua Mag case. Shoots just fine. Buy yourself a used left hand LA and give your bolt head to a smith. Purchase a prefit barrel chambered for the caliber of your choice, buy the action wrench or barrel vise, barrel nut wrench, headspace gauges, and do the barrel work yourself.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.