338/358 lapua?

I'll preface this by saying that I am a 35 Whelen fan. I've taken a lot if game with the cartridge, and I find it a pleasant to shoot medium bore.

As such, for Iowa, I'd be inclined to build a Whelen on a 700 (for long COAL and for magazine options) with 1:12 barrel, and have it throated for max COAL. Load the highest BC you can, and commence tipping deer over @ 500 and beyond.

That being stated, the 358 N would be an interesting round for those who care to handle the recoil. Along those lines, a 375 H&H or RUM with 300+ grn bullets arent bad long range performers, and they can be had in readily available factory rigs.

I'm sure the 35 whelen would make the most sense to build. TC Customs out of South Dakota are building 358 wsm. This got me thinking what I had setting around as a donor and the lapua was the first one I thought of lol.
Probably not very practical or economical for deer hunting, but it would make a neat build though

.350 Wells Express (.35-378 Weatherby)

AKA: Go Big or Go Home...:eek::)

We used to shoot this and the .510 Wells Express for demonstration and elk hunting (.350). The .510 went to Africa.

The .350 would make a dandy 'bean field' rifle in Iowa. I rebarreled mine to a 1:9" twist to shoot the Cutting Edge 340 gr. Definitely not practical or economical but a real hoot to shoot!:cool::)

;)

Iowa resident here.

Bottleneck cartridges with a projectile .350 or larger are allowed alongside straight walled cartridges.

The wording "straight wall or other centerfire ammunition..." is where the legal wording allows bottleneck
So, a .243 Win is not allowed but a .378 Weatherby is???

What is the rationale behind that? Seems bass ackwards, doesn't it?

So, a .243 Win is not allowed but a .378 Weatherby is???

What is the rationale behind that? Seems bass ackwards, doesn't it?
IMG_6504.jpeg