338/358 lapua?

Timbers

Anyone ever heard of necking up a 338 lapua to 358?
In my home state of iowa, we are allowed to use 35 caliber or larger for shotgun deer season.
I have a 338 lapua single shot setting in the gun safe and thought maybe I could put it to better use as a long range deer rifle.
I know hammer and cutting edge bullets are making some pretty high bc bullets in 358 that should be good candidates.
Just looking for any pros or cons on spending the money to have this done.
Thanks for any advice

Sounds like it would be a real powerhouse. How many rounds do you have on your 338 now and how does it shoot?
The cost to do a change over will be expensive. New Barrel and a custom reamer. Chambering cost. Then probably custom dies. $1K+++.
How far can you shoot at a deer in your area? If not far buy a 35 Rem.
Another option is to buy/build a Smokeless Muzzle loader and you will have another rifle for ML season if you have one.

It shoots fine and has less than 100 rounds down the barrel but it doesn't get used much anymore. This is the only reason I even thought about doing something different with it. I do have a 45 cal smokeless muzzleloader that shoots great and we've taken deer with it, out to 500 yards. The bc on the smokeless bullets are app .420 and I seen that cutting edge had a 340 grain .358 bullet with a bc of .920.
May not be worth the cost or the time to convert it over although it would be pretty cool lol.
Thanks CST for your input

Recoil may be an issue, but I'm sure you're already aware of that. And I thought it was overkill building my 35 Whelen AI for Iowa whitetails.

From Iowa's rules and regulations:

Rifle Equipment:

Centerfire rifles .357 caliber or larger, shooting straight-walled ammunition with an expanding-type bullet where:
  • Straight-walled, centerfire, rimless cartridges have bullets that are from 0.357" to 0.500" in diameter and have a case length from 0.850" to 1.800"
  • Straight-walled, centerfire, rimmed cartridges have bullets that are from 0.357" to 0.500" in diameter and have a case length from 1.285" to 1.800"
  • Those centerfire cartridges that are listed as legal in Iowa's hunting regulations
Unless the above has changed, your .338/.358 cartridge will not fit the restrictions of using a 'straight-walled' cartridge.

:(

From Iowa's rules and regulations:

Rifle Equipment:

Centerfire rifles .357 caliber or larger, shooting straight-walled ammunition with an expanding-type bullet where:
  • Straight-walled, centerfire, rimless cartridges have bullets that are from 0.357" to 0.500" in diameter and have a case length from 0.850" to 1.800"
  • Straight-walled, centerfire, rimmed cartridges have bullets that are from 0.357" to 0.500" in diameter and have a case length from 1.285" to 1.800"
  • Those centerfire cartridges that are listed as legal in Iowa's hunting regulations
Unless the above has changed, your .338/.358 cartridge will not fit the restrictions of using a 'straight-walled' cartridge.

:(
It appears that way. However, I ran into this ...
1702039262555.png

There seem to be some exceptions to the rule, i.e., .35 Whelen is allowed per the situation above. I guess it is best to ask the LE side of the FWP for clarification.
1702039421173.png

That's why I posted the quote from their rules and regulations, there seems to be some disparity for some odd reasons.

Hopefully some fully informed residents can shed some light on this. Opinions don't help but actual information on the regulations is important.

The one statement on one website suggested that there are some discrepancies and variations and suggested checking.

Best of Luck!

That's why I posted the quote from their rules and regulations, there seems to be some disparity for some odd reasons.

Hopefully some fully informed residents can shed some light on this. Opinions don't help but actual information on the regulations is important.

The one statement on one website suggested that there are some discrepancies and variations and suggested checking.

Best of Luck!
Agreed!

Iowa resident here.

Bottleneck cartridges with a projectile .350 or larger are allowed alongside straight walled cartridges.

The wording "straight wall or other centerfire ammunition..." is where the legal wording allows bottleneck

Always good to check with knowledgeable residents.

:)
I wouldn't have built my 35 Whelen AI otherwise. I'd be wallowing in the world of 350 Legend still trying to hand load something hot enough for my liking.

I feel like the .355" 160gr Cutting Edge Raptor loaded ****in hot in 350 Legend would be a good option. However, the .358" version of that same bullet in the 35WAI has the potential to melt steel beams.

Iowa resident here.

Bottleneck cartridges with a projectile .350 or larger are allowed alongside straight walled cartridges.

The wording "straight wall or other centerfire ammunition..." is where the legal wording allows bottleneck
No dog in this race, But, wouldn't 378 weatherby fall into that category?