338-300RUM

sebastian3784

I am just working up some varying loads for my new rifle in this caliber, has anyone else that has been shooting it got any recommendations for loads with 250 and 300 grain matchkings? any help would be greatly appreciated. The rifle is a Sendero SF-II with a new 30"Lilja barrel and a muzzle break. Timney trigger, and a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 scope with the NPR-2 reticle. Shooting great so far with the 250 grainer and Retumbo.

Sorry don't have any load advice. Actualy a new 338-300rum will be my next project when money becomes a little more available. I do have a few questions for ya though. Who did the machine work for you, and round about how much did he charge.

Depending on oal and throat length 92-95 grains of H1000 with the 300 SMK will get you 2850 fps or so and has been wonderfully accurate. Good luck with your neww rifle.

Shawn,
As this round is your specialty, what is the shortest practical barrel length for this round for the 300 SMK? Is 26" too short to see any gain over the LM or regular 338 RUM?

The 338 Edge and the LM are for practicel purposes ballistic twins. The 338 RUM vs 338 Edge is different. Barrel length will depend largely on bullet selection. It has been my experience that with heavy bullets (300 gr) the Edge is and advantage no matter the barrel length. If you intend to shoot 225 NAB's the Edge chambering is a waste of time for a 26" tube if you want to run a 30" tube the Edge chambering is an advantage. If you are wanting to run a 26" tube and 225 NAB's just run a 338 RUM as its' performance is so close to the Edge in that platform that there is no reason to waste time on the Edge. That is just what I have seen.

Shawn, thank you for this load info. I just laid three into a .746" group at 300 yds with your lightest suggested load. Awesome.

Shawn, thank you for your advice, any luck using the 225AB in a 338 Edge. Maybe with this lighter bullet, RE25 being slightly faster in terms of its burn rate would provide some advantage?

[ QUOTE ]
The 338 Edge and the LM are for practicel purposes ballistic twins. The 338 RUM vs 338 Edge is different. Barrel length will depend largely on bullet selection. It has been my experience that with heavy bullets (300 gr) the Edge is and advantage no matter the barrel length. If you intend to shoot 225 NAB's the Edge chambering is a waste of time for a 26" tube if you want to run a 30" tube the Edge chambering is an advantage. If you are wanting to run a 26" tube and 225 NAB's just run a 338 RUM as its' performance is so close to the Edge in that platform that there is no reason to waste time on the Edge. That is just what I have seen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Shawn
How much advantage does the edge have over the 338RUM, if you are going to be using 300gr bullets and 28"-30" barrel??

At what range would the 300ge bullet become Subsonic in the edge anf RUM?

Dr B

Hey Marine!

I got two suggestions fer ya...

1. Hold onto your hat mister... especially once I get that sweet stock of yours onto my Diablo!

2. Don't waste barrel life trying to beat me... it is an extreme waste of a good barrel!

See you Sunday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Diablo I out!

I can't wait till next fall!
446595.JPG

Seabass,

While the 225 NAB is a great bullet, I don't think it is in the same league as the 300 SMK for anything. I haven't seen where you could push it fast enough out of the same case to make it worh it. There will be people that don't agree with me on that and that is ok, it is just my opinion.

I have not chambered any 338 RUM's on a 30" barrel. However I have done both in 26" tubes. The Edge has about a 150 fps advantage over the RUM all other things being the same. The advantage will increase slightly as barrel length increases, I just not sure exactly how much. Glad the load worked for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.