338 300gr Berger OTM for hunting

At extreme range, 1200 and further, using my 338-416 Rigby Improved or Edge, the 300g OTM either failed to expand and tumble, or it would blow apart on bone.
Needless to say, I stopped using them at those ranges.
I have 4 in my possession that are bent like bananas with zero expansion on the nose.
I switched the hybrid and has zero issues.
Also had issues with 30 call 230g OTM bullets doing the same.
Keep them close if you want them to work.

Cheers.
Good stuff! I will definitely keep it under 1200 yards. Thanks!

Last 11 years in two different Normas.moose,elk,bear,muleys,speed goats.Most shots in the 5-600 range,but out to 850.Shot up close 50 yrds too,blood trail on those like a bow shot.my deer this year ,wind 40+,474yrd,blew threw both shoulder,deer not one step.
Perfect! That's what I'm looking for!

I have been hunting with the 300gr OTM in my 338 Lapua for years with great success. Very happy with the terminal performance from 0-700 yards on Mule deer and Antelope. Haven't been able to get any shots further out.

I loaded them in my 338/378 Weatherby this year with great results as well. My only suggestion, check the tips to ensure they aren't clogged.

--Mark

I have been hunting with the 300gr OTM in my 338 Lapua for years with great success. Very happy with the terminal performance from 0-700 yards on Mule deer and Antelope. Haven't been able to get any shots further out.

I loaded them in my 338/378 Weatherby this year with great results as well. My only suggestion, check the tips to ensure they aren't clogged.

--Mark
Always! Thanks for the reply.

At extreme range, 1200 and further, using my 338-416 Rigby Improved or Edge, the 300g OTM either failed to expand and tumble, or it would blow apart on bone.
Needless to say, I stopped using them at those ranges.
I have 4 in my possession that are bent like bananas with zero expansion on the nose.
I switched the hybrid and has zero issues.
Also had issues with 30 call 230g OTM bullets doing the same.
Keep them close if you want them to work.

Cheers.
Were those the first gen 300s, or the current gen? I guess what your describing was a problem on the first gen 300 OTMs.

Were those the first gen 300s, or the current gen? I guess what your describing was a problem on the first gen 300 OTMs.
TBH, I have no idea what Gen they were.
I stopped using them well before Covid hit.
I no longer have the boxes either, gave what was left to my mate, he used them hitting gongs and rocks.
Haven't been able to get Berger bullets here for close on 3 years, so before that I guess.

Cheers.

I haven`t had any problems with the 300 OTMs expanding in classic Berger fashion. Small hole in, big hole out. I have read and seen pics of the first gen 300 OTMs with the nose slump problem at a certain velocity and tumbling, or breaking the tip off on impact on game, and just penciling through. I believe once Berger became aware of the problem it was resolved with the second gen version. Couldn`t say how long ago that was for sure though. My .02

I just started going over some of the earlier threads and was concerned that the heavier jacket might have some expansion issues at longer distances. These are doing right around 2600 fps and I had great accuracy in my Lapua but it's definitely not a hunting rifle. And I still have 500 of them so I was curious if I was wasting my time and components! 🤷🏻‍♂️
Definitely wasting your time! Send them to me and I will save you trouble of having to decide if they are any good....I will let you know!

Going to slip this comment/question into the thread since we are talking about target and hunting bullets. I've shot a deer and elk with a 300 Elite hunter and was happy with the turn out. This year, I shot a cow elk in the vitals ( at 400 yards) with a 285 ELDM. Ended up being three times, as the first one didn't look like it was going to drop her anytime soon. The second one did end up tipping her just as I sent the third. First shot was low vitals that hit the opposite leg and shatter it and the bullet. The other two shots were lungs with complete pass throughs with nickel sized exits. I was expecting bigger exits based on some of the 6.5 and 7mm ELDM exits from pictures that were shared with me. Wondering what's up with the 285s as the EDLMs.
I only have 300 grain elites on the shelf now so I'll be going back to them if I can find some 8133 or Retumbo.

Going to slip this comment/question into the thread since we are talking about target and hunting bullets. I've shot a deer and elk with a 300 Elite hunter and was happy with the turn out. This year, I shot a cow elk in the vitals ( at 400 yards) with a 285 ELDM. Ended up being three times, as the first one didn't look like it was going to drop her anytime soon. The second one did end up tipping her just as I sent the third. First shot was low vitals that hit the opposite leg and shatter it and the bullet. The other two shots were lungs with complete pass throughs with nickel sized exits. I was expecting bigger exits based on some of the 6.5 and 7mm ELDM exits from pictures that were shared with me. Wondering what's up with the 285s as the EDLMs.
I only have 300 grain elites on the shelf now so I'll be going back to them if I can find some 8133 or Retumbo.
I have only used the 285 eldm on steel and paper. Good to know! 👍

--Mark
If you don't mind. What is your load in your 338/378?