338 300gr Berger OTM for hunting

C S Fever

Have any used the the 300 gr OTM for hunting application. Just curious I have a 338 SDM (340 bee AI) and have had good results working up a load and want to know if anyone has used it for more than target? Thanks guys

I assume the only difference between the OTM and the Elite Hunters are jacket thickness. I use the Elite Hunters, Berger lists the BC and load data the same between the two of them.

I assume the only difference between the OTM and the Elite Hunters are jacket thickness. I use the Elite Hunters, Berger lists the BC and load data the same between the two of them.
I just started going over some of the earlier threads and was concerned that the heavier jacket might have some expansion issues at longer distances. These are doing right around 2600 fps and I had great accuracy in my Lapua but it's definitely not a hunting rifle. And I still have 500 of them so I was curious if I was wasting my time and components! 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have been shooting 2640fps and have killed elk with both the OTM and Elite Hunters. The longest shot was 602yards and the shortest has been inside of 200. They both seemed to work equally the same. The great thing about a 300grain bullet is the animal doesn't go far!

I have been shooting 2640fps and have killed elk with both the OTM and Elite Hunters. The longest shot was 602yards and the shortest has been inside of 200. They both seemed to work equally the same. The great thing about a 300grain bullet is the animal doesn't go far!
Thanks for the response! I will try this.

I have shot whitetail with them from 160 to 700+ yards. As long as the shot hits its mark you shouldn't tear up anything.

Here is the exit at 400

Attachments

• 924EA438-A7AF-469C-AFA6-769AE7012BE7.jpeg
    924EA438-A7AF-469C-AFA6-769AE7012BE7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 140
I used them on antelope only so far. Shot was @550 2960fps. Quartering towards me, bullet entered chest exited near the last rib. 338 size hole going in tennis ball size coming out DRT. Performance was classic Berger. Shot placement is key as always. I also always make sure the tips are open with a pin drill. I do this with all Bergers. I have shot many Deer, Elk, and Antelope with the 215 Berger Hybrid with the same results with my 300 RUM, and 300 PRC. So expansion was perfect even on a fragile little goat. My .02

Last edited:
I used them on antelope only so far. Shot was @550 2960fps. Quartering towards me, bullet entered chest exited exited near the last rib. 338 size hole going in tennis ball size coming out DRT. Performance was classic Berger. Shot placement is key as always. I also always make sure the tips are open with a pin drill. I do this with all Bergers. I have shot many Deer, Elk, and Antelope with the 215 Berger Hybrid with the same results with my 300 RUM, and 300 PRC. So expansion was perfect even on a fragile little goat. My .02
This is what I was hoping to hear! Some real experience with it! I'm using 195's in my 28 Nosler and 168's for my 280 AI with great results! Thanks!

If you hit something hard you will get a hole. The 300s are power houses. From what I have seen they don't really deflect in the body, they just eliminate the obstacle haha. There isn't much thats going to stop it especially at the speeds you plan on sending them.

They can be picky on jumps, read Bergers writeup on their recommended process if you arent farmiliar with it. It helped me at least.

If you hit something hard you will get a hole. The 300s are power houses. From what I have seen they don't really deflect in the body, they just eliminate the obstacle haha. There isn't much thats going to stop it especially at the speeds you plan on sending them.

They can be picky on jumps, read Bergers writeup on their recommended process if you arent farmiliar with it. It helped me at least.
Thanks for the info I will check it out tomorrow!👍

Last 11 years in two different Normas.moose,elk,bear,muleys,speed goats.Most shots in the 5-600 range,but out to 850.Shot up close 50 yrds too,blood trail on those like a bow shot.my deer this year ,wind 40+,474yrd,blew threw both shoulder,deer not one step.

At extreme range, 1200 and further, using my 338-416 Rigby Improved or Edge, the 300g OTM either failed to expand and tumble, or it would blow apart on bone.
Needless to say, I stopped using them at those ranges.
I have 4 in my possession that are bent like bananas with zero expansion on the nose.
I switched the hybrid and has zero issues.
Also had issues with 30 call 230g OTM bullets doing the same.
Keep them close if you want them to work.

Cheers.