338/300 build, little help please...

groper

HI folks, so ive decided to build a 338/300RUM for my next LR rig to shoot the 300gr SMK.

Its being built on a accurised rem 700 action, and im having a custom barrel built for it which is where im looking for some imput.

So ive asked the barrel manufacturer for a 30inch SS tube, heavy contuour, fluted, with a big slab muzzle brake. Questions i have are how heavy contour should i go, And how deep should the throat be for the 300gr SMK?

I want the rifle to be heavy enough to shoot comfortably, but not so heavy i cant carry it... so i was thinking i want the finished weight to be around 12.5-13lbs and i have no idea what profile bbl will give me this finished weight... Its going in a HS precision stock...

Any other input would be great :)
Cheers

Remington Sendero contour .830 @ 30" will put your rifle at about 10.5 #
If you put a Nightforce rail and 5.5x22 NXS on it, it will add about 3 #.

i was actually thinking 12.5-13lbs for the rifle alone, without optics.

any ideas on the throat and also what are my magazine options?

What is the advantage to going to a 13# rifle in this caliber ?
Put a DE muzzle break on it and it will be a joy to shoot.
My rig weighed 13.5# with a Nightforce 5.5x22 NXS and shot 0.30 MOA out to
750 yards, with the barrel contour I suggested. I see no advantage to go to a heavier barrel for this caliber. Now if you were building a 338/408 Improved I would jump the weight up to 16-17# to help manage recoil alittle.

Mine has a 28" #7 contour ss from Lilja. Manners MCS-T stock and Kirby's PK "slim" version brake. With a Leupold scope it weighs right at 13lbs. Also, barrel is fluted. Has an Wyatt extended mag.

ok i take your point on the weight...

Does anyone have a measurement from the bolt face to the lands, and what is your COAL using a 300SMK?

groper,
With the 338 EDGE reamer from PT&G my measurements were as follows:
Chamber- 2.865
Neck OD after firing- .370
Neck OD after sizing- .364
Neck OD loaded - .366 (use.364 bushing)
300gr SMK on lands ogive= 2.965

I do not have a COAL for you as I always load to ogive measurement.
I used a Wyatt magbox for the 338 EDGE, and I think it was somewhere in the 3.840 range. Give Kevin Wyatt a call for which box to use. If biult on a Rem 700 action you will have to mill out the back of the receiver alittle. No big deal, any smith can do it for you. Also shorten the bolt stop about .110-130
Build on a Stiller action and I think the magbox is a drop-in fit.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.