338 250gr BTHP Match bullet by Hornady...????

Mysticplayer

Just noticed a few stores offering this bullet. No info on the Hornady site. Anyone know anything about this bullet? BC?

Priced well if the BC is similar to other Match bullets.

The interest in the 338 Lapua is starting to have dividends in new stuff.

Jerry

According to midway's website the B.C. of this bullet is only .465, significantly lower than the matchkings. Bullet almost look like a sierra gameking hpbt with a small bt and a larger hp. They are also more expensive than matchkings. Just click on the technical specifications and uses and the B.C. will show up.

I saw that too. Was dissapointed. However, other stores show their price for a box of 100. Not sure who is right as the Hornady website has no info.

Bizarre that they would design a match bullet with a low BC given how important that is to the market.

Rumour has it Hornady is seriously thinking about a 275gr Amax. Fingers and toes crossed for that.

Jerry

[ QUOTE ]
Rumour has it Hornady is seriously thinking about a 275gr Amax.

[/ QUOTE ]

That rumor is true. I'm not sure on the weight but they are looking @ .338 AMax. Also several other calibers and weights. They may also go back to the old design on the 7mm 162 gr Amax. Only time will tell though!!

Jerry,

I was at the Hornaday plant a while back, i showed them my 338 snipe-tac round as i was interested in them making the dies for me. I also said there is a need for more choices on high BC 338 bullets. They said that they were working on the 250grn bullet, i told them to also look heavier, 275-325grns. We will see what comes along.

Dave

332Hornady-Bullets.jpg

I'm bummed but as Jon A says we'll see how they fly.

Comments are:
Bearing surface seems extra long. Which makes for a shorter bullet I would guess. Its not as slim and trim as 30 cal offerings. It looks more like it would be something shot out of a howitzer.

Even if Hornady is conservative w/their BCs I doubt that the published BC would be a full 0.1 low???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rumour has it Hornady is seriously thinking about a 275gr Amax.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I really hope Hornady makes a 275grn A-MAX. I am having a 338 Lupa Magnum Improved built, and at the moment I am concentrating on shooting the 300 Sierra MatchKing at around 3000fps to 3100fps out my 36" pipe. With a 275grn bullet, I bet I could get 3200 to 3300 fps; what due you guys think?

Wildcat,
I dont think you can acheive that kind of speed from that case without ruining them. 25grn drop in bullet weight will not add 300fps. Maybe 100fps 3100 maybe a ballpark on a 275grn bullet. A standard 338 Lapua with 300MK runs 2900fps tops, improving it will get you to 3000fps in my estimate. The case capacity is just not there, a 338-378WBYimp or 338-416Rigby-imp will get what your looking for. Sure you can push cases to past the limit and get high velocities, but at what cost? In all instances find the load that shoots the most accurate and keeps the cases in tact. Kirby and I can push the big 338's we have to past 3500fps with the 300grn pills, but we will loose the cases, primer pockets will start to open up, maybe two firings? Brass starts to extrude just past 65,000psi, so if your looking for 3100 out of your Lapua Imp, you will be in that range. I'm not saying it wount work, just becarful as your at the top of the spectrum.

Good luck,
Dave

Thanks for the info. I wont be trying for 3100fps, I will be looking for around 3000fps. However, if I wanted to push it to 3100fps, I know I could get it.

Thanks
Wildcat

Contact Hornady and tell what a great idea a heavy high BC amax bullets would be.

I have been bugging them for years for heavy 30 and 338 bullets. There more pressure we put on them, the more likely we will see better bullets.

With the Amax, remember that these bullets usually fly with a G7 drag curve. Many HP match bullets follow a G5 curve. Not too many VLD bullets are built to follow the G7 drag curve. The BC value changes dramatically depending on the actual drag curve a bullet takes.

Simply, a lower G drag curve bullet with a high BC number will have higher real world drag then a high G drag function bullet with a 'lower' BC number.

Just put in numbers in a ballistic program and compare. All too often G1 curves are used to generate some amazing BC values. This is not correct and real world ballistics are dissappointing.

So when comparing BC values, try and find out which G function was used to generate the number. You might be very surprised at the answers.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.