Hornady 338 250gr HPBT Match bullets

royinidaho

Anyone tried these or will I be first? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Saw a box @ local store. Looked them up on Hornady's web site.

No ballistic info.

Called the 800 #.

They are so new that customer support wasn't aware of them when I called.

Their BC is 0.470 Most of their other stuff is 0.430

Hornady said expansion has never been tested.

I saw the prototypes this winter at the Hornaday plant, I asked the rep why didn't they make them bigger? He had no answer to that. He said they are serious about getting into the long range aspect. I said they need to get a bullet 300-325grns in .338 cal, there is a big market. He was going to talk with Steve Hornaday and voice my opinions. I said a AMax bullet in 325grns would be the ticket. I have heard nothing back on the subject.

I haven't tried the bullet, my 338snipe-tac rifle is better suited for the larger weight bullets. The 250MK i tried shoots very good, speeds are way up there, 3650fps. I like the 300MK's reasonable and they shoot good. I suspect the 250 Horn bullet will work best in the slower 338cal guns.

Dave

My 338 RUM doesn't seem to want to push a 250gr pill or a 225gr pill for that matter, much over 3000 FPS.
I'm going to try some of those Hrndys. If they shoot, I hunt with them.

Roy it seems like you mentioned that you can get over 3,000 with the 225 but you had accuracy issues, is that correct?

[ QUOTE ]
Roy it seems like you mentioned that you can get over 3,000 with the 225 but you had accuracy issues, is that correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

This accuracy was after finishing the Tubbs Final Finish process and piller & skim bedding.

The 3027 velocity was the fouler.

This is as fast and as accurate as I can get any of the 225s. Even 0.5gr more powder gets me extraction problems and loose primer pockets.

332Post-Last-10-FF-med.jpg

Why do those 225 Hornady's spire points with the cannelures shoot so well? My 338 WM loves them also. Another short stubby bullet that groups well is the 200 Speer flat point. Roy what Brass are you using? As you probably know the web section is the weakest link in the brass. Just an idea that you may have already explored.

[ QUOTE ]
Roy what Brass are you using?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only choice at the moment, for me, is REM brass and it is the pits for several reasons. See the thread on Nosler brass to see some of the reasons.

This rifle when it was a 338 WM loved the the Hor 255s also and Sierra Game Kings and WC 252 RBBTs.

More on Hornady 338 250gr HPBT Match bullets

Hornady's web site says they'll be along shortly. Local store in IF had two boxes. I bought one of 'em.

Came home and loaded and shot 9 shots. Three at starting point to fire form cases (94.5gr RL-25). Then went to 95 grains. Still seemed to have plenty of pressure room so jumped to 96 grains (I'm still used to 06 size cases. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

95 grs went 2971/2940/2958

96 grs went 3000/3015/3020 and ~0.6 or so MOA @ 200.

Groups improved with each powder increase.

The 0.465 published BC isn't too nifty. They have a fairly long bearing surface but seem to generate less pressure than either sierra SMKs or Game Kings.

They shoot better than any other 250 gr bullet I've tried.

96gr RL-25, Fed GM-215M Primers, Hornady 250 HPBT Match seated into the lands.

Target @ 200 yds
332Hor-Match-_-3011-med.jpg

Re: More on Hornady 338 250gr HPBT Match bullets

Roy,

Glad to hear that you are getting better performance from you 338 RUM. Good shooting!
Can you post the link to the Hornady bullet, I can't seem to find it on the Hornady web site.

Thanks for your help.

JD338

Re: More on Hornady 338 250gr HPBT Match bullets

One of the best performing bullets out of my Sako TRG 42 in .338 Lapua is the 215 gr Sierra Gameking. With a faily light charge of H-1000 I get 3200 fps and 3/4" at 300 meters. They are a hell of a bullet on game too. Not as good as some of the better premium bullets on the market but how dead can an animal really be?

The only bullet I've tried that shoots better in my rifle than the SGK is the 250 gr Lapua Scenar.

This is 300m with 215 GR SGKs.

609300_m_338_lap.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.