338-06 Info

Pre-64

Picked up a 700 action on the cheap and was thinking about this caliber. But, I don't know if I can get the velocity from this round to suit my needs. Was hoping to use 210 grain scirroccos. I noticed Nosler makes 180 grain ABs in .338. Anybody have experience with this caliber; barrel length, loads, twist, fps, bullets, etc? Thanks.

Will be a dedicated elk rifle.

Quickload estimates you can get 2700-2740fps with that bullet and a 26" barrel.

The 338-300WSM would let you get 200-250fps more velocity in the same barrel length and the Long action magazine would be plenty long to seat bullets long and take full advantage of the chambering. I have a couple friends that absolutely love the 338-300WSM for elk.

Probably get 2900fps with the 338-06 and 180gr ABs, get over 3100 in the 338-300wsm and 180ABs
AJ

Last edited:
my old man has a pistol(17.5" barrel) in 338-300wsm and is getting over 3000 with the 180's. it's a cool cartridge!

just my 2 cents. If your gonna shoot 180 gr.bullets out of an 06' case why don't you just stay with 06'? The reason most people shoot 338-06 is to launch heavier bullets, with better sec. density, bal.coef, frontal area, for more ft. lbs of delivered energy, and momentum at bigger animals like the elk you are building the rifle to harvest.
I built a 338-06 ackley and shot 250's @2,550 out of 24" barrel. good trajectory to 400 yds, and plenty of juice with great bullet. Never shot anything ever more than once, never lost game.
The way I see it, velocity stops at the hide. For elk you need a heavy for caliber, deep penetrating bullet with high sec. density, that will plow through thick heavy hide, bone, and muscle while delivering a heavy blow to the vitals, even on less than perfect shot angles.gun)

i'm with canyonman on this one. why bother with a wildcat when you can have just the same with a factory cartridge? even if i were considering this arrangement why not go with the tried and true 35 whelen? another factory cartridge that would save you the bother of case forming etc.... AJ

Cause I've already got an 06, which is why I'd rather shoot the 210s. I'm trying to fit a standard action into a niche. 338-06 is a good way to go to up bullet mass, but I think I'd be better off just gettin the 338 WM and saving the standard action for another project. I'm no velocity freak, just would like to get a trajectory similar to the one(S) I'm accustomed to. Thanks for runnin those numbers as they are pretty consistent with what I've learned. Not a fan of the WSMs, thanks for suggestion though.

Pre64,

With you all the way here. I have a Hart 1x10" and a Remington 700 action that will soon come together as a .338-06. Mine will probably run a 22" barrel, but I haven't closed off the idea of a 24" either. I hade a .338-06 with a 25" on an '03 Springfield action and am very impressed with the performance of this round. If you check out the data for this cartridge in the Sierra 4th & 5th edition manuals, that was my rifle used for the load development. Good performer, but a tad long for the woods. I want the Reminton to be something just a bit handier than the Springfield was.

Do it. You'll like the combination, I assure you!

Kevin Thomas

I have an 03-A3 action that is going to become a .338-06 AI. I have seen pics of the effects of this round and am looking forward to this build. I reload and am not worried about forming brass. This will be done when I go to gunsmithing school. Will have a 24" barrel with an integral 1/4 rib, sling stud and front sight ramp. Set up like a safari rifle. Why? Cause I don't have one. Also plan on building a .375 H&H the same way. Why? Again cause I don't have one. If this is what you want, do it and don't look back. You won't be sorry. Can't go wrong with a .338.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.