30-338 info

I posted the other day regarding 7mm mag vs 338 mag. Gots great replies but now I was wondering if anyone has converted a 338 to the 30-338. I already have a 338 Win in a Rem 700. In looking at the ballistics, it comes in near to a 300 win mag but in a 30-06 length. Has anyone done this, used it, ect. Since I already have the gun, the conversion price should be less than a new rifle. Any input would help.....

the 30-338 Win will do just about everything that the 300 win will do but with a longer neck. the 30-338 was used for a long time in 1000yd matches and was very popular. Reloading info for the 30-338 Win and the 308 Norma mag are interchangable so if you can find any data on the 308 Norma mag thats basicaly the same thing

Great caliber I've been shooting the 30-338mag since early 80's. Rem made a 40x in 30-338 mag as a LR match rifle and you see them every so often in results. I've taken alot of elk/deer with my 30-338mag and all I do is neck up 7mag brass. Well good luck

Thanks for the input. That was my next question, which is easier to do, neck up a 7mm or neck down a 338. I assume there are reloading dies available through RCBS.....

I have a set of RCBS dies here that I'd let you have for a hell of a good deal if I can find them

The 30-338 is a great cartridge that has been around since the late 50's. My late uncle had an old Model 70 winchester 3006 that he rechambered in the late 50's to this caliber and it killed lots of animals. Since you already have a 338 win mag, you will have to rebarrel, so that leaves the choices wide open. I rebarreled my 338 win mag to a 300 ultra and used a new take off barrel. I only have 200.00 in this gun. My 338 shot great, but I didn't use it anymore since building my 338 ultra.

The deal sounds good but don't get in much of a hurry opening up boxes, I'm just in the pre-planning stages and am not sure what I am ultimately going to do. If this is an easy build for a gunsmith and I am able to make the empty brass, I'll do it, but again not sure what this is going to take.......

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.