33-378 custom build

wyobmf

Hello,
I want to build a custom .338 cal rifle to hunt big game to 1000+ yds.
I have a .300 RUM that has worked well out to about 850 yds on elk but I want something that shoots a little better. I could rebarrel the RUM and make it accurate but I would rather spend my money on a new gun. I am thinking of using a BAT or Lawton action.

My question is, Is there anything that tops the 33-378 other than the .408 cheytac wildcats?

Also would it make any sense to build a custom gun in a Lazaroni caliber?

Keep in mind I want to use this rifle on wilderness hunts, so it has to be practical to pack on a horse/mule/myself this is why I dont get a Cheytac wildcat built.

Any other calibers that I should look at?

Thanks

For a packing rifle, you have 4 easy options.

.33-378 WBY
.338 Lapua AI
.338-300RUM (338 Edge)
.338 Lapua Magnum

The Lapua's have the best brass available and the AI is nearly the equal of the WBY (but much more efficient). The .338-300Rum (Edge) is the cheapest/easiest to build (you could use your 300Rum as a donor and just do a barrel swap. The Lapua's require a larger boltface and larger actions.

I'd look seriously at the 338 Edge, especially if you don't mind using your 300 Rum as a donor. A simple barrel swap and you'll have a rifle that will easily reach past 1000yd's for elk. It is a tad smaller than the 33-378 (within 100fps or so), but plenty to reach past 1000yds on elk.

If you are going with a complete custom and don't want the 338 Edge, I'd look seriously at a 338 Lapua improved before I went with the 33-378. The brass is fantastic and it is more efficient for nearly the same velocity.

Your choices below the 408 based rifles are the Wby, Lapua AI, and Edge.

Personally, I would not select a Lazerroni due to single source for brass.

Or you could go ahead and get a .408 based 338 and hire someone to carry it for you! I have a 338 Allen Magnum (.408 based) and it is an incredible hammer, it only weighs 18lbs with bipod and scope. It can be built in a 16lb configuration and is unmatched in it's long range capabilities out to 1500yds+.

HTH,
AJ

AJ, Thanks for the info.
I thought of using my rem 700 action and going with the edge, but the gun shoots pretty decent in the .300 rum and I have quite a bit of work into it.

The Lupua does sound like a logical choice, Just read the wiki on it. What is the imporoved version? Change the shoulder angle?

Would it make any sense to go with a .30 cal Lupua wildcat?

Trust me I have almost sent kirby $5k a couple of times.

Do you pack your AM? or is it a truck/4 wheeler rifle?

I packed my 338AM for around 30 miles last season (all at 9200-9800 ft altitude).

I'm warning you, if you get a 338AM, you will feel undergunned unless you have it with you. You will make all kind of excuses for taking the big gun with you, you'll lighten your pack and take the Allen Mag with you.

Consider yourself warned. There is nothing like 'knowing' that making a 1200yd shot is not only possible but VERY probable.

The Lapua AI takes some taper out of the Lapua and improves the shoulder. If I was building a non-408 custom, I'd look seriously at the Lapua AI.

AJ

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.