30mm vs 1 inch optic?

mightyman

I am sure I have seen it somewhere, or could google it, but prefer to hear what is said here regarding the differences in a 30mm scope vs a 1 inch?
What are the features and benefits of both, and why is one preferred over the other?
thanks
MM

I am sure I have seen it somewhere, or could google it, but prefer to hear what is said here regarding the differences in a 30mm scope vs a 1 inch?
What are the features and benefits of both, and why is one preferred over the other?
thanks
MM

Everything Ive read says a 30mm tube has more room for internal adjustments.....hence you can get lots more "up and down" and "right to left" adjustment on the reticle

Everything Ive read says a 30mm tube has more room for internal adjustments.....hence you can get lots more "up and down" and "right to left" adjustment on the reticle

+1, and I "believe" a tad more light transmission even though that is dependent mainly on other factors

We'll there is defnitly difference betwen 30 mm and a 1 inch scope , the light transmition capabilities , it's that last minutes extra you can get at dusk or dawn with the 30 mm scope , who are capable off gathering extra extra light than the 1 inch, I fell the 30 mm are more stronger built but would defnitly slighter heavier, if weight is no issue, you should go for the 30 mm, I have been using both, but sizes in Ziees and Sworasky, but would prefer the bigger off the two, there is nothing wrong with 1 inch it's fine as we'll.

There is a "little" more room in the tube for internal reticle adjustment. The main difference, in my opinion, of scopes with a 30mm tube is that most optic manufacturers install better glass/lens coatings in the models that wear the larger tube. If you compare the sight picture of the same manufacturer from a 1" vs a 30mm side by side you will be able to readily see this.

There is a "little" more room in the tube for internal reticle adjustment. The main difference, in my opinion, of scopes with a 30mm tube is that most optic manufacturers install better glass/lens coatings in the models that wear the larger tube. If you compare the sight picture of the same manufacturer from a 1" vs a 30mm side by side you will be able to readily see this.

The tube diameter of a 30mm scope is >18% longer than that of a 1" scope, freeing up more than just a "little" more room for travel. I think S&B (as well as the newer NF models, and the new Razors) use 34mm tubes to further extend this adjustment.

Also, while your statement regarding better lenses/coatings may be correct for some manufacturers, I don't think it is a good blanket statement. There are some 30mm scopes with some pizz-poor glass, and some 1" tubes with fantastic glass (the Swaro Z5s as an example).

+1
To be very clear, tube size has no effect on transmission or image brightness. No effect at all. It's not a matter of opinion, it's physics.

VH8R, you are correct about the European manufacturers, I was referring to Leupold, Sightron, Burris, Vortex, etc. when I said better glass/lens coatings are usually found in 30mm tube scopes. I have compared some Leupolds, Burris, and some others with 1" tubes with some of their 30mm tubes and they have a very noticeable difference in quality of sight picture with my eyes. I did not say "all" scope manufacturers install better glass in 30mm tubes as I have not looked through nor owned every brand of rifle scope made. I wouldn't spend the horrific amount of money for some of the scopes on the market, but I have compared my Leupold VX-R to a Nightforce of uncertain model and my VX-R is every bit as bright and clear. I believe if you want to know how clear an optic is you need to look through it.

Don't automatically assume that a 30mm scope has more internal adjustment than a 1" tube. There are a lot of 30mm scopes out there that don't. The higher end 30mm tubed scopes typically have quite a bit more adjustment. The same cannot be said for the rest of what is out there. Pay close attention to the actual adjustment range on anything less than the high end stuff.

A 30mm scope has greater amount of internal reticle adjustment than a 1" tube scope.

All things being equal, you will get some stronger torsional strength from a 30mm tube.

Many 30mm scopes actually have 1" internals. The Leupold euro models did.

You really have to look at the specs to see if there is more adjustment. Many blanket statements have been made in this thread that seem to have been accepted as fact through internet repetition.

A 1" tubed 6x with 42mm front lens will transmit the same image as a 30mm tube 6x with 42mm front lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.