308 win moose?

I would stick with the Ammo that has taken a lot of that size game. Any ammo with the Nosler Partitions or Remington Core-Lokt 150's. A lot of Moose has been taken with smaller calibers. Mainly which ammo the rifle shoots the best. I have taken Elk with the 270 using 140grn bullets and the 280 using 140grn and 150 grain in Remington Core-Lokt.
Mike

I shot my Maine moose with a 308 using Winchester 165 grain failsafes. First shot directly through the heart and second shot double lung hit. Both bullets were recovered and perfect formation. He did not go far, maybe 20 or 30 yards. But moose are very large and may not shot much reaction to a good hit. If you really want to put a moose down quickly, use a strong built bullet and shoot for the shoulder. AND don't let them expire in the water ! That makes a big job so much more difficult.

Hi all, my wife drew a any moose tag for ND. She has a 308 win. What do you think for a bullet I reload, so do you guys think a 165gamechanger or 168 Berger vld would be good or should I go more like a Barnes ttsx, or Nosler accubond or partition?
165-180 Nosler partition. Guaranteed weight retention.

Hi all, my wife drew a any moose tag for ND. She has a 308 win. What do you think for a bullet I reload, so do you guys think a 165gamechanger or 168 Berger vld would be good or should I go more like a Barnes ttsx, or Nosler accubond or partition?
Swift Scirocco would be my choice but Berger is absolutely perfect

Moose are actually pretty easy to kill. With a .308, I'd be looking for a true broadside and I'd go right behind the shoulder. The vital zone is enormous. If you are close, and using a tough bullet, you could attempt quartering shots, but the shoulder is pretty stout on those critters. I like the TTSX a ton, but in the .308, it's probably a bit on the slow side for great expansion. A partition or even better a Swift A-frame would also be OK, if you can get them to shoot.

My buddies use .308 on eland in Africa with zero hesitation, and they're tougher to kill and bigger than a moose.
I agree with orifdoc. I've seen a full grown bull killed with an 80 grain factory load at 100 yards. It took two steps and died. Moose really don't want to live when hurt.

Any of your selected bullets will work well, but I have taken a one shot bull with the 180 ttsx.

Either of the Swift bullets would be great. A frames or Scirocco.

Hammers. Awesome
NP either standard or NAB
Oldie, but one incredible bullet TBBC. JUST NOT PART this places vocabulary due to LOW BC. But short range not much better out there.

Best of luck

You mentioned a lot of practice to get ready. If your wife isn't used to recoil, leaning into the bench exacerbates recoil. When I first got my 7mm mag, I would put a sandbag under/behind the recoil pad, but still have my shoulder on the pad. The bag would take most of the recoil.

In Europe, they use 6.5 Swedish for moose, but the sectional density is around .280. In .308, that means a 180 gr. bullet. For your wife, you probably want to go lighter, so use a premium bullet. I like to shoot the shoulder, so they drop where they are. There is so much meat on a moose that losing a bit of shoulder meat isn't that big a deal. The nice thing about a .308 is that the velocity is low enough that it doesn't tear up the meat as much as a magnum.

I like Barnes and Berger bulelts, and have taken elk, deer, aoudad, oryx, and javelina with them. Barnes will expand down to 1600 fps. Those were with a 7mm 160 or 168 gr., so the S.D. was over .280. Velocity was around 2850 fps. I did kill my first bull with a 140 gr. Barnes, and it killed just fine, but did not exit. It has the same S.D. as your 165 gr. .308.

Where I live, moose hunting has ruled since we started cutting down trees. As time progressed we went from 303, 30-06 and 30/30 to bring home the meat. The 308 fit right in there and continues today. So many freezers were filled with the 308, including mine. I had a Mauser 98 with a McGowan barrel that shot Nosler Partitions in 180, that did the job wonderfully. I wish I owned that gun today. I can't remember anything other than a great cartridge that killed very well. Moose and a 308 is a good deal from my history. Load a 165 Partition and prepare your freezer!

308 will work fine if you keep ranges under 200. I would recommend 165/168 TSX barnes or partitions. I have taken Moose with both and they performed
perfectly. Bone in both occasions were not a problem. Shoot which one shoots the best. But most importantly is knowing your limitations. Just my 2 cents worth.

I've seen Alaskan moose dropped with a 25-06 using partitions. I have used partitions in my .300 WM on large animals. My vote would be for partitions on moose. I have heard a lot of great things about Hammer bullets, but have no experience with them. I think you would be good with any bullets you list. Good luck. Moose is my favorite meat so fill your freezer.

My only moose was taken in the early 1980s in Wyoming with a .280 Rem and a Nosler 140gr Partition. Shot was at a running animal at under 100 yards and he was heart shot. Chambered another round but didn't fire it as he quickly stopped running, coughed out blood twice and collapsed in a heap. We ate moose for about 15 months! Your .308 will be fine with a quality bonded bullet of 150 to 165 grains.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.