.308 w/ Heavy Bullets

AZ82New

All,

I have been messing around with 308 lately. I was initially working with 130 class monos trying to run them fast. In my particular rifle, I could not get them to group.

So I just went the other direction, if I cannot get high velocity, I'll get ridiculously high bc. Granted, this is all just an exercise on paper currently. Meaning, plugging values into a bc calculator and seeing velocity, drift and energy numbers at extended range. Game performance is completely theoretical other than one YouTube video of one animal from a guy in New Zealand.

Important, I bought some Alpha 308 smaller primer brass. So I am loading about 1.5 grains over max Hodgon load data here. I'm getting away with that, anything more and I start seeing pressure signs if I torture test the load (fast 10 shot strings). Definitely do not try this with soft brass (Cough….Hornady).

Here is what I came up with:

212 ELDX at 2,517 fps. The 10 shot SD is 6.5 and the ES is 17 fps. I'm using Varget. Staball Match was a little more accurate but Varget was lower pressure. By the way, Staball Match is top shelf stuff. You should try it.

Oh, it's a 20 inch proof barrel. COAL is 2.801.

I'm printing one ragged hole groups with the above numbers. Again, you ain't gonna get there with ****** brass so don't try.

On paper, this is an elk load to 700 yards.

Do you guys think it will actually perform? Do I take this on an elk hunt?

**edit**

I don't actually intend to shoot an elk at 700 yards. I'm capping myself at around 500 yards. If I were to try at 700 yards, I would take my 300 PRC.

Interesting but very sensible...I'm listening but can't comment on anything but the minimum expansion velocity required by the 212 ELD-X is right where you mentioned from your 308 velocity.

I'll definitely be following this to see what others think. I'm about to start working up a load for Africa with 180gr A Frames in my 308. Good to see your getting that kind of velocity with the 212's.

I'll definitely be following this to see what others think. I'm about to start working up a load for Africa with 180gr A Frames in my 308. Good to see your getting that kind of velocity with the 212's.
I think you would land in a relatively similar place velocity wise.

The charge weights max out at around 180 grain bullet weights. Meaning, your load manual is going to tell you about the same load of varget….or whatever powder you're using…..for a 180, 190, 200, 208 etc. like within a grain or two they are listed exactly the same.

I got one grain more of varget with a 190 Speer Impact and the velocity was 2,630 fps. Not really a lot of difference.

Again, keep in mind I am over book max here. Not way over, but I am over.

Hornady 178 ELDX factory ammo in my rifle was going 2,550 fps. I imagine the 2,600 fps range is where you would get a 180.

I would actually consider a 165 class mono bullet. You're going to get about 2,800 fps with a Hammer Bullet and it's going to far out penetrate that A-Frame.

I think you would land in a relatively similar place velocity wise.

The charge weights max out at around 180 grain bullet weights. Meaning, your load manual is going to tell you about the same load of varget….or whatever powder you're using…..for a 180, 190, 200, 208 etc. like within a grain or two they are listed exactly the same.

I got one grain more of varget with a 190 Speer Impact and the velocity was 2,630 fps. Not really a lot of difference.

Again, keep in mind I am over book max here. Not way over, but I am over.

Hornady 178 ELDX factory ammo in my rifle was going 2,550 fps. I imagine the 2,600 fps range is where you would get a 180.

I would actually consider a 165 class mono bullet. You're going to get about 2,800 fps with a Hammer Bullet and it's going to far out penetrate that A-Frame.

I do want to try the Hammers as well. I was steered toward the A Frame by the PH and my buddy that's been hunting in Africa with this PH for the last 20 years, so I figured I'd listen. Lol. If I can't get good enough performance out of the Swift I'll start looking into Hammer and Barnes but I want to try what they both suggested first and see how it did.

I do want to try the Hammers as well. I was steered toward the A Frame by the PH and my buddy that's been hunting in Africa with this PH for the last 20 years, so I figured I'd listen. Lol. If I can't get good enough performance out of the Swift I'll start looking into Hammer and Barnes but I want to try what they both suggested first and see how it did.
Go with the A-Frame, it will outperform the other. Listen to the people that's been doing this for 20 years.