Heavy Bullets!

Great post and links.

I'm trying to figure out what bullet to choose for hunting, 500-1000 yards for a 300 Weatherby. Any suggestions? The 210 Berger seems interesting. Gun not built yet. Need to buy correct reamer too.

Keep chiming in on 30 cal heavy bullets.

Thanks

Great post and links.

I'm trying to figure out what bullet to choose for hunting, 500-1000 yards for a 300 Weatherby. Any suggestions? The 210 Berger seems interesting. Gun not built yet. Need to buy correct reamer too.

Thanks

200gr Accubond. Best of both worlds the way I see it. Tougher than light constructed bullets, not as tough as solids. If your shots are typically closer to 1k or more, you may want a different bullet, but if they're typically 500-800ish the Accubond offers great ballistics & reliable, & proven performance, and will still handle 1k+.

I'm not even in the same league as Broz, or LTLR, & I never claim to be. I don't have the years of hands on experience under my belt, so take my opinion for what its worth. But, I have killed my share of big game, & have formed my own opinion that fits my hunting style to a "T". My opinion lies almost exactly in between these two well respected, mossyhorned, Long Range Heavyweights.
My way isn't the only way, nor is it the best way for everyone else, but it is a completely viable & proven way for how I hunt, & the ranges described for your cartrige.

If the animals you hunt, in the country you hunt, rarely present the perfect broadside shot, & you need to put em down with the best shot presented, the monometal bullets really shine.
If your into extreme long range, the lighter constructed bullets with high b.c.'s offer more range, less wind drift, & a lower velocity to expand.
If you want somewhere in between, & your willing to sacrifice some BC, & or bullet construction, its hard to stray too far from the Accubond. It's just a great middle ground bullet.

Now as for the rest of this thread, which I have followed rather closely, I'm gonna keep reading, & learning, but it sure does keep me coming back to my opinion of bullet selection stated above for my style of hunting. If two of the best & most respected LR shooters, & hunters we know on this forum, are of such opposite opinions, where does that leave the rest of us?
There's no perfect bullet. Every bullet has to give something up to the next. Every bullet can have a bonus over the next as well depending on application, & intended use.
Broz is a long time proponent of Bergers. LTLR is a long time proponent of controlled expansion hunting bullets. Nobody on either side of this debate is going to change either of thier minds, period. All we can do is learn from thier experience, & form our own opinion.

They both are working with quality bullets so I'm listening in too. I've bought both for my 7 STW to test, just haven't loaded them yet.

Are we sure those are the CE hunting bullets and not the solids. I saw this pic on another thread and seem to remember there being some questions as to which bullet it was. These sure don't look like the bullets on their site. They are nicely mushroomed with some of the petals dis attached.

Scot E.

They were 7mm hunting bullets with the hollow point that a friend of mine shot into phone books.

Great post and links.

Thanks

We have smoked many good bulls with 210 out to 1000 from 300 Wins, 300 Wby's and 30-378 Wby's. Hard to go wrong there especially from 500 to 1000.

But with the recent releases from Berger and the added case capacity of the 300 Wby I would also look at the 215 Berger ( I havnt tested these yet but the .696 BC is awesome.) Also the 230 OTM Hybrids. We took several elk with them last season from a 300 win and they buck the wind really nice with a .711 BC. No elk took a step shot with the 230 and neither did the large Mule Deer buck at 891 yards. Or the antelope at 738, and 2 at 600. All one shot cold bore DRT's.

So for a 30 cal you have many great choices.

Jeff

The 177's run with a .638 bc. I run them at 3680fps. Rifle is a 30-338 Lap Imp. At this velocity the 1-10 twist is fine. Much slower and a 9 twist may be required. I have not tried them slower.

Steve

The 177's run with a .638 bc. I run them at 3680fps. Rifle is a 30-338 Lap Imp. At this velocity the 1-10 twist is fine. Much slower and a 9 twist may be required. I have not tried them slower.

Steve

Im thinkin that you need a monometal bullet just to handle the RPM's! Thats a fast .30 cal!

I agree with the need for actual field testing....here is a link to a post where I shot the 230gr bergers in the wind...............

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/lets-shoot-wind-new-230gr-bergers-work-85035/

Thank you for this post cwinner. I knew you had done some real world testing too, and your results resemble mine. I stated before some might be suprised just how much difference it makes and should see it for yourself . Even at distances shorter than 1000 the high BC heavies have their place. That is if you believe wind is our biggest hurdle.

Nice test and good post.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.