308 rifle in remingon rifles

oldfamily

I have been thinking of buying a new rifle in 308. I looked at the latest remington catalog and noticed that the twist rate is different in some of there rifles. Some have a 1 in 12 and others 1 in 10. Was wanting to shoot smk from 160 to maybe 190 range. Which rifle twist be best? I looked at Lilja twist rates and it looked like both would work, I just want to start with the right twist. I was looking at the vsf with the 1 in 10, and the vls with the 1 in 12.

I've had a few 308 with the 1-12 twist and all would shoot the 190gr SMK well , I only had one the would shoot the 210 Breger though.

I have since started using 1-10 twist in about all the 30 cals I get or build as I would rather have to much spin than not enough , that way if I want to shoot the 200gr class bullets I can , or if say 2000 rounds down the road I want to shoot the 300WSM ands a 210gr Berger I can just rechamber the barrel and a couple simple mods to the actiopn and I can be ready

I had a VSSF that would drive nails with the 190 Berger,,but I hated shooting the 190`s free and the 168`s shot just as good so thats what I shot,the 168 and A-2520 with the 12 twist was as accurate a factory rifle as I ever shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts