308 or 6.5CM

Want to build a new rifle and starting looking at Lane Precision. I'm looking for a sub 300 yard rifle for deer and pigs. I like the 308 for many reasons and have a savage heavy barrel that was basically my first rifle 15 years ago. Still shoots well but I want a rifle I can carry in the woods for long hikes. I have a 300 WM if I even make it out elk hunting so I don't need a large caliber rifle.
So I'm looking for advice between the 308 and 6.5cm. I know the 6.5 is the new sexy round but for hunting deer and pigs under 300 yards what would you get?
I know there are a ton of other calibers out there but I'm only considering the 308 or 6.5.

many and all input welcomed.

I like a 270WSM or 300WSM for light rifles. Both get the job done well. Also a 243 on a Model Seven action. Small rifle with excellent kill history

Want to build a new rifle and starting looking at Lane Precision. I'm looking for a sub 300 yard rifle for deer and pigs. I like the 308 for many reasons and have a savage heavy barrel that was basically my first rifle 15 years ago. Still shoots well but I want a rifle I can carry in the woods for long hikes. I have a 300 WM if I even make it out elk hunting so I don't need a large caliber rifle.
So I'm looking for advice between the 308 and 6.5cm. I know the 6.5 is the new sexy round but for hunting deer and pigs under 300 yards what would you get?
I know there are a ton of other calibers out there but I'm only considering the 308 or 6.5.

my first question is whether or not you handload. .. then the suggestion that your build have at least a 1/10 twist, or tighter since many of the new high BC bullets require it. Many standard .308s are 1/11 or 1/12.
Having a tight twist affords you the opportunity to use the all copper Hammer Hunters which give you high BCs w lower weights. It's really changing the logic table.
I'm a 6.5 fan but since you've made your choice, might as well exploit all the good stuff about that round.

I would go with the 308 also as there will never be a shortage of ammo for them. My Ruger 7.62 does everything you are asking, Plus. Also if you reload you can make whatever you need for whatever you want to do. I know you said you want to Build there my reference to Ruger was just for information on the 308 capabilities but I also enjoy hunting with mine and no matter what comes along in the future it can handle that also.

The 308 offers much more then the 6.5. A 30 caliber bullet with various weights from 110 to 220 grains gives the shooter more versatility in their hunting needs from varmint to Big game. Works for me.

No advantage to 6.5 C <= 300 yards. 6.5 C outperforms 308 past 300 yards due High BC bullets.

I have a few custom rifles and I would not spend that kind of money for this application.

I also have a 6.5 cm and a 308. I use the 308 for exactly what you describe. The 308 is an older version of the following Tikka Tac 20" barrel, it shoots 1/2 MOA with the ELDX 178 gr and she is topped with a Nightforce 2.5 -10 x 44... see the link below for the newer version... Great setup that has enough energy to to drop anything up to 500 yards ethically.

300 yards and inside...main application is hunting... 100% 308 Win. When it comes to hunting, I've found bullet weight/mass to make a difference. The Hornady 178 gr Precision Hunter load is fantastic. The 6.5 Creedmoor is great as well, but it really shines at longer distances where the high BC bullets can get to work. All that said, I don't think either one would be a "bad" decision, I just believe the 308 will be more versatile...and have longer barrel life, if you like to shoot a lot...

I know you're looking at for advice between the 308 and 6.5CM but don't overlook the 7mm-08. It falls between both calibers and shares many of the same characteristics. Grest selection of bullets with very decent ballistics. Would be more than enough for deer and hogs and many use it for elk. At 300 yards and even a bit further, I like my 7mm-08 for most hunting situations and my 6.5 CM for bench rest and target shooting.

Last edited:
I'd chose the 308 Winny for hunting anything anytime over the 6.5CM. Bigger hole diameter, better blood trail, more bullet selection. Paper ballistics might work for target shooters, but heavier bullets fly truer and have less wind drift. If you are building a bolt action rifle, I'd chose the 30-06 over the 308 any day. What's a minimal action length change???Can't argue with more powder charge and greater range. Don't notice any recoil difference between the two. But for 300 yards, the 308 Winny works fine!

For your use I would take a 308 everyday and twice on Sunday. I have both and both will work but my 308 just hammers pigs at 300 and in--- with a 16 inch barrel!
This is key here... either round will be great for deer and pigs, but if you are going to go with a 308win, go with a 16-18" barrel, anything more is silly in the real world.

Thats a tough one, or easy maybe, since both will do the job well. Ive been a 308 fan for Ga hunting, in other words deer and hogs inside 300yds, for years. I just built a 6.5c and i have to say it surprised me as to how easy it was to tune in. It shoots great with everything ive shot through it . Ive had 308s that found loads they have like quickly, but ive had several that never found a tight load . Good enough groups from every one for where i hunt though. I vote 6.5c just because thats the round ive been messing with lately.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.