308 norma mag ballistics

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by shawnb, Nov 30, 2012.

1. shawnb

shawnb Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I was at a local custom shop and they had tons of 308 norma brass. I took a look and it looks like a nice caliber with the long neck and all. And after reading broz's reports on the 215 hybrid im wondering if anyone has or knows what i could expect of this combo with say h1000 and a 28" barrel

2. 4bycamper

4bycamper Well-Known Member

I have been looking at the 308 Norma mag ever since a guy at the range had one and was shooting the lights out at 500 yards in a gusty 5 mph cross wind. I think he was shooting 208 A Max. My 7 saum was getting blown around pretty bad at 500.

It seems that Hornaday reload manual is pretty impressed with this old round, giving it 300 Win Mag respect with a little less powder. All this seems a lot like the newer 300 wsm which is where my 270 wsm is headed with a new barrel.

So yeah, with H 4831 or H 1000 you can shoot anything the 300 win mag shoots, just a little bit slower. Now if you can just find the right rifle...
    gun)............................................ lightbulb

Hope this helps.

3. mgdhunter

mgdhunter Active Member

Comparable to the 30-338 wildcat. My father has a 30-338 and it is a tack driver. He and his brothers used it on the Air Force rifle team back in the day. Very impressive and accurate.