.308 Norma Mag.

Natman

Father-in-law bought this .308 Norma Mag. About a month ago. It is built on a Mauser 98 action with a 26 inch Douglas barrel mated with a Timmney trigger. Does anyone have experience with this caliber. I'm looking for a starting place on loads and what would be a realistic expectation of velocity. I doubt he will ever use it but I can foresee me taking her out now and then.

It is an excellent cartridge and I have done several. It should be way more popullar than it is. Just not enough rifles chambered in it for it to be that popular. It is basically the same thing as the popular 30-338 winchester that has been a very succesful target round for many years. I have quite a few loads for it down in the reloading room I will get on here for you.

I will be using it for hunting hopefully. Would love to hear about the performance of this cartridge on game and distance shooting.

I know a guy in his 70's and he has shot a ton of game w/ his including a majority of 58 bulls

Really looked the gun over good and boy does it feel like a dream. The stock is custom made and the barrel is free floated. The trigger breaks at 12oz. He also gave him dies and 20 previously loaded shells but warned us they were loaded in the mid 1980's. He hasn't had the gun out of his safe since the late nineties. I checked the bore with the bore scope and was surprised at what appeared to be a new barrel other than the copious amount of oil. Hope to post some pics of it soon.

You will love this rifle. They are extremely accurate. These are my old loads for it before all the new powders came out. 7828 had just came on the market and turned it on pretty good. 77 grains of 7828 with a 200 grain bullet gave me excellent accuracy and over 3000 fps. You can push the 180 grain over 3200 fps with 79 grains 7828. These are with cci 250 primers. You can neck up 7mm remington or 264 winchester or neck down 338 winchester brass and fireform the cartridge but will be about .06-.065 short on the neck which will not make much difference and case stretch will be there pretty quick anyway.

So by all accounts I assume recoil and velocity would compare to a .300 weatherby or Win. Mag. Good to know so as I will not get a case of scope eye. Thanks for the load recipe. I do need to read some on for fire forming since I have never done it. Does Norma or anyone make brass gor it now.

Up until last month my best loads were with imr4350 and H4831 in 165,180 190 and 200gr bullets, mostly Sierra's, which I quit using just because I would consistently find the jacket and core separated in animals out to 500yds.
I stumbled onto a load with H1000 ,Berger 210's and standard primers. 2928fps from a 26" barrel and groups under 1/8" at times. If you want to shoot far 210's might be something to consider. Cliff

Anymore load info on this case. I'm currently running h4831sc with nosler 165 bt in norma case. Really like this round ....would like to run a heavier bullet like the berger 215 hybrid.

I have the 30-338WM which is very similar to the 308 Norma Mag.

Sierra has load data in their manual for the 308 Norma Mag, as does Nosler in theirs (latest editions).

I've had good accuracy and speed in my version using IMR4350, H4831sc and WLR primers.

I believe Norma makes brass for your cartridge.

I used the sierra manual for my previous load. Although as posted using norma brass at sierras max load I was over pressure. I dropped down almost three grains from book max... no pressure signs and that was where my accuracy load was. Just looking for info with the heavies and norma brass. Using a no.3 contour bartlien barrel with a vais break for a lighter weight hunting rifle. accuracy load was easy to find with the nosler bt. seems to be a great round so far going to chamber a varmint contour barrel for the heavier bullets next.

I got a 308 Norma Mag in the 60s before Winchester come out with the 300 Winchester Mag cartridge. The 308 N M has a bit less powder capacity than the 300 WM cartridge case. Back then I developed an accurate reload using 165 grain bullets. I have used the 165 grain bullets to shoot pronghorn, mule deer, and elk. Some years ago I fired three shots to see if the rifle was still sited in and then fired three more rounds to take a pronghorn, mule deer, and elk.. It is a fine big game cartridges but has ben out sold by the 300 Win Mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.