.308 load recommendation for youth

huntoregon

My son turns 12 next spring so he will be legal to hunt here in Oregon. I have a Weatherby Vanguard chambered in .308 with. 20" barrel 1-10 twist, I would like to work up a load for, with him. It will be used for blacktail deer and possibly Roosevelt elk.

Thinking 150-165 grain bullet, no idea what to try for powder or primers.

I loaded for a friends grandson-similar in age this summer. It didn't pan out for game, but the 130 grain Sledge Hammer was pleasant, and accurate to shoot. 52-54 grains of CFE223, Federal 210 primers should give you 3000fps +.
Stepping up a bit for bear, and elk the 152 Sledge Hammer is a good bet as well. 48-50 grains CFE 223 to about 2900 fps.

For the black tail deer this load has much less felt recoil than 150s and it SMOKES white tail deer. 125 gr Nosler ballistic tip and work up to 46 grs IMR 4895, Winchester case and CCI BR2 primer. I have gotten a number of people shooting this load for deer and it is a tack driver and a drop them in their tracks load. I averages 3000 fps out of my 21 1/2" 308 Win Heart barrel. For the Elk you will need to step up to 150 - 165 gr bullets and they shoot great with IMR 4895 also. I would give the Nosler Accubond or Partitions try.

I have been shooting the 155 berger vld out of one of my 308's and have had great success on mule deer, antelope and elk. Getting good penetration and terminal balistics with this bullet. I am using 47 grains of Varget out of a 22" barrel and getting 2850 fps. Of course, you need to work up to this. The load and gun are easy to shoot and have not failed on elk from 40 yards to 550 yards, shot placement is key. I would suggest putting a muzzle brake on it for a youth, as the the 308 does seem to produce snappy recoil out of a light weight rifle. I am also using a berger 168 grain classic hunter out of my other 308, 24" barrel. Current load is 43.5 grains of Varget in lapua brass at 2780. I have taken several mule deer, an antelope and cow elk with this load this year and all have been one shot kills. I tend to like this load and rifle better so it has been my go to hunting rifle as of late. Both of my rifles wear side port muzzle brakes and recoil is very light.

I have been shooting the 155 berger vld out of one of my 308's and have had great success on mule deer, antelope and elk. Getting good penetration and terminal balistics with this bullet. I am using 47 grains of Varget out of a 22" barrel and getting 2850 fps. Of course, you need to work up to this. The load and gun are easy to shoot and have not failed on elk from 40 yards to 550 yards, shot placement is key. I would suggest putting a muzzle brake on it for a youth, as the the 308 does seem to produce snappy recoil out of a light weight rifle. I am also using a berger 168 grain classic hunter out of my other 308, 24" barrel. Current load is 43.5 grains of Varget in lapua brass at 2780. I have taken several mule deer, an antelope and cow elk with this load this year and all have been one shot kills. I tend to like this load and rifle better so it has been my go to hunting rifle as of late. Both of my rifles wear side port muzzle brakes and recoil is very light.
Where you using the vld-h or just straight vld? I just loaded some up 155 the vld-h for velocity node testing and seating depth. They're shooting extremely accurate and I have them at 2880. Was hoping to use some for elk but was not sure if they would work.

Very old Post. Nov 2017 :rolleyes:

Google Hodgdon Youth Loads. Uses H4895 in reduced loades.

IMR 4895 has worked for me in 30-06 reduced jacketed loads & cast bullets to.

Very old Post. Nov 2017 :rolleyes:

Google Hodgdon Youth Loads. Uses H4895 in reduced loades.

IMR 4895 has worked for me in 30-06 reduced jacketed loads & cast bullets to.
I know it is a "very old post" however there is little to nothing about how these work on game…. Especially larger game. I didn't know there were restrictions on how old a post could be for someone to ask questions