308 Factory Ammo for big Hogs

geo4061

Black rifle with 18" barrel and 1 in 10 twist. I have been using 155 grain Hornady's, HPBT. They are fairly inexpensive and shoot .75 moa. This is great for the first shot(head). Help is needed when they scatter and you take whatever shot you can. Is there a better choice in ammo that is very accurate and will bring things to a quick end on a not too perfect shot.

It does not matter the caliber or the bullet if you do not put it in the vitals. Most any 150 to 180 gr HUNTING bullet from a 308 Win put in the vitals will kill anything in North America.

I passed right over the "FULL BOAR" ammo because it wasn't lead. Too much old school I guess. The sales pitch sounds good. Have you tried them? Terminal performance? We will be hunting at night and most shots at 100.

How far are you shooting?

If I'm shooting hogs within 200 yards, I like to load heavy for 308

Some wild boar are as thick-skinned as a good NCAA basketball referee! I using factory loaded Remington 150 grain CoreLokts in my .308

165 grain federal deer thugs or 150 grain remington corelokts.

" I like to load heavy""200 grain Accubonds" I was thinking like ya'll why not punch a bigger hole? I see no one has picked a HP. The hog is no doubt "thick-skinned". The 155 BTHP I am using goes in, entrance seals up, and you do not have an exit. Therefore, they are very hard to find. No blood trail. Do you think the Accubond is the best choice when trying to get a large exit wound?

I've had good luck with the razor back xt's. Again it's not lead but I've moved out of the lead only camp. I use monos for closer 300 under work and they change the game. They just pack the high bc for lenght. Only one I shoot momos long range is my .375 AM cause options are limited.

.....Do you think the Accubond is the best choice when trying to get a large exit wound?........

Yes. No hogs with it, but deer and elk it's worked well for me. I've used Accubonds in other calibers, and they've worked well also.

In the factory ammo I'm aware of, for 100 yards it should exit. Though as hog size, and angles vary, I can picture it not doing so. Wound channel should still be decent though.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.