308 Based Wildcats

texas

Anyone have some ideas for a long range caliber based on a 308 size round?
Maybe I went about it the wrong way but I ordered a stock. It takes a Sako A2 action in 243,308 and 358. So I want something with more reach and power than any of the above rounds. So I come to the board.

If I were you I would build the rifle for the 260 Remington. It is a solid 1000 yard performer. I have used the 308 to 1000 yards with fair sucess but I after watching the 260 perform I am convinced it will do at 1000 what the 308 does at 800 using the 142 MK or the 139 Lapua Scenar. Really with the 260 or the 308 you cant go wrong..Good luck with your rifle.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight.....RiverRat

I know a guy who shoots a 7mm-08 and uses the 180 grain Berger VLD bullets (.70 BC) at 2700 fps from his 30" barrel. If you actually take a look at the figures that is one impressive round. On paper it is still going 1600 fps at 1000 yards. Hugely better than the 308 parent round. Based on my unscientific watching of him shoot on the line it appears to need about 1/3 less windage adjustment for particular conditions.

One of the best reasons for using it is the excellent brass that can be bought without having to neck up or down as has to be done with the 260 Remington (6.5mm-08)

Winchester.
Overall I have had really good luck with it in 308 and 243 and 22-250
Personally I prefer to neck up rather than neck down, but don't like to neck either way if given the choice.

Thanks for the imput, I'm slightly leaning to the 7mm-08 but thats a smaller bullet.
Trying found out if I can make a 300WSM or maybe a 338WSM work in that action. Or am I asking too much from such a small case size?
confused.gif

The criticism I keep hearing is that the short magnum brass (both Winchester and Remington) is not nearly as consistent as a target shooter needs. Maybe the demand is just so great that the factory is not being as careful to keep everything just right. Or, maybe the larger diameter body is tougher to neck without getting uneven thickness. Haven't tried any personally (yet) so I can't mention any specific numbers.

BG I know that both winchester and remington short mags are still very new but I think that they will sort out any problems.
I just found out that the Rem SAUM is based on the same size case(lenght) as the 308 so I guess thats what I going to work with but still want to neck up to take 338 SMKs.
From a 24" barrel they get 2960fps using a 180gr 300dia bullet so I hope to get close to that speed pushing the 250 and 300gr pills with a 27" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.