308 125 gr AccuBond at 3150 mv?

BoomFlop

Anyone have any experience with the 125 gr AccuBond in 308 at 3150 out of a 20" Remington LTR (1-12" twist)? Would be for woods Wisconsin whitetails 0-200 yards.

How do you think it would compare to the Hornady Superformance 150 SST at 2900, Hornady Superformance 165 SST at 2740, Hornady Superformance 168 ELD-M at 2740 or Nosler 165 BT at 2700? All assuming 100 fps loss from 24" to 20" barrel.

Thanks everyone!
Steve

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with the 125 but any of the listed ammo will work, so use whichever ammo shoots best

Do you think the added velocity would be better "Shock" medicine or would you take the KE of the heavier bullet at a decent velocity instead? I guess that is the basic question I am seeking!

I'd take the heavier bullet but there is a best of both worlds, the 168eldm superformance. I don't remember what velocity they run at, but it's fast!

I use the 168 eld in my 308 and imo it's one of the best deer hunting bullets available

Last edited:
Or you could run with 1 bullet to get the "close to good results for most critters .

If you were to choose one, what would you like to use.

I'm in Elk, Moose and Deer territory along with Wolves, coyotes, Linx, Bobcat,,, so the 150 to 178's fill those needs.

I split the difference and run with 168 HPBT's.

They are bone braking on the thick skins,,, and clean pass threws on the small furry critters.

168gr HPBT @ 2730 with 45gr of Varget.

If your typical shot is under 300 yards, which I do believe to be the case in the WI deer woods, anything .308 win will do the job cleanly with energy and velocity capacity to spare. You would be in the sweet spot for bullet performance for those distances in most all bullets that I can think of.

Any of the bullets should work. The AB has the best rep. for holding together. Any will work on deer. My wife shot here mule deer last year at 278 yards with a 87 berger VLD. Bullet was in the off side hide. Deer went about 20 yards. velocity on the load was around 2900fps.

I've liked the Accubonds better when they are towards the heavy end for caliber.

The 125 likely will expand well, maintain a good front profile, but yield little penetration. We've recovered .338 225 Accubonds from small whitetail does.

If dropping below 165 grains in .308, I'd try either the 130 Sledge Hammer, or 143 Lever Hammer for the work described.

morning, the 135gr. TTSX barnes has killed many hogs from 200
down to 50yrds. I have never shot a deer with this load and bullet.
friend son 308 all he shoots the 135 barnes. very good killer.
justme gbot tum. heavier bullets for TX. whitetail is not necessary,
but ur choice.

The old customer satisfaction rep (easy 60 years experience) from Nosler told me the 30-125gr BT in a 308 Win was acceptable for recoil sensitive shooters and would work on deer at closer ranges. Of course a 150gr would be better and for really big bodied deer or elk a 165gr PT has worked well within 300 yards.

I picked up a bunch of 125gr Accubond's for my woods 308, and will give it a go next year. I'll be using my grandfather's M88, don't expect much more than 150 yards, with 50 being more probable. I want the faster follow up and less wear and tear on this rifle. Just have to get some 748, seems to be the go to powder for these. Hopefully will have a nephew try it in a few years on a youth hunt.

I have not used the 125 AB but have used for years the 125 Ballistic Tip with 46 grs IMR 4895 for 3000 fps from my 21 1/2" 308 Win and it is a deer killer. Usually the bullet will not exit until it has slowed down to around 2700 fps on a through the shoulders shot. I use the 125 BT also in my 30x47 rifle at 2850 fps and out of my T/C Contender 14" barrel pistol in 30-30AI at 2670 fps. With the pistol I have killed over 2 dozen, lost count, deer out to 125 yards and I have never recovered a bullet. Usually shoot through both shoulder or at least in one or exit one. Bullets have all exited. I have never had a deer go over 50 yards with 90% dropping in their tracks shooting them with the 125 BT and I have shot at least 100 deer with this bullet over the years. The only Accubond bullet I have ever used is the 130 gr in my 264 Win. mag at 3350 fps muzzle. It is AWESOME from 25 to a bit over 500 yards so far. The 125 AB should be a good bullet for the 308 Win under the conditions the OP stated. If not satisfied give the 125 Ballistic Tip a try because I know it works.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts