.300WSM conversion to .325WSM?

Echo5Hotel

Would anyone tell me the possibility of changing a .300wsm to a .325wsm and the pro's and con's of doing so. I have heard a lot about both and the .325wsm seems like a significant jump in power and range. Looking at a Savage model 12BVSS for the weapon platform. Would it require the rifle to become a single shot or would I be able to retain the internal mag well?

Hi Echo,
If you buy any rifle chambered for any WSM it is possible to re-barrel for any of the other WSMs because they all share the same parent case.
Feding from the magazine will not be a problem.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck in the way"

Intersting, What does a 325 do that a 300 can't...

did you put any of yur data through any ballistic programs?

I don't see any real eye popping data... keep in mind your bullet selection in the 30 cal range is significantly better

my .02

Echo,

Depending on what you are planning to do with the rifle, the 325 may or may not offer you more power then the 300 WSM.

For closer range shooting it will offer more dramatic terminal effects then the smaller caliber 300. By that I mean the heavier, larger diameter bullets will have more effect on heavy game at close to moderate ranges.

Because of the better BC of most 30 cal bullet though, at longer range the 300 will have an advantage in retained velocity, energy and with same bullet design, they generally penetrate deeper as well.

Again, it depends on the range you will be using and also on what type of critters will be hunted.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.