300WSM, Barnes 180TTSX, Reloader 17

Ronster

I would like a good starting point for grains of powder (reloader 17) for a 300wsm shooting a 180TTSX Barnes bullet. Alliant shows thier recommendations of 66 gr for a 180SPBT speer, that is the closest info I can find to the Barnes TTSX.

On a side note, the OAL for my browning is 2.900 (with a .030 reduction recommended by barnes), however, my magazine will not hold over 2.855, what are your recommendations?

Thanks
Ron

Last edited:
Great, at -20 outside it might be a bit before I dedicate some time at the range. I will let you know how it turns out once it warms up.

Today I loaded up some 300wsm rounds. I used Reloader 17 for the Barnes 180gr TTSX and Reloader 15 for the 168gr TTSX. For the reloader 17 loads I started at 62 gr and worked up to 67, for the reloader 15 rounds I started at 53 and ended at 59.

I bought a new chrony today so as soon as I get some warmer weather I will be trying this out. Chrony batteries and my fingers dont last long at the -20 range.

Ron

My gunsmith recommended that I seat the Barnes TTSX bullets .050 off the lands in my 7mm WSM. This modification did more to tighten my groups that anything else I tried. Groups with the all copper bullet were in the > 1" category at settings of .020" and below. Setting the TTSX jump to .050" resulted in < 0.40 MOA. Maybe more jump may help with your 300 WSM.

This modification to your reloading could get you a bit lower than your 2.855" length clip restriction.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.