300WM vs 300WSM different question, maybe...

XTR

I get that the WM has more capacity and can run heavy, as in 175/180 class bullets faster than the WSM in most standard configurations, but that usually compares a short action WSM and a long action WinMag, and never compares them with the long 200gr+ bullets that really challenge either platform in their OEM configuration.

I have a M70 in 300 WinMag that I have started trying to load with Berger 215s. I have changed out the magazine box the ejector and the bolts stop for the 375 versions and that will get me up to about a 3.65-ish OAL.

This is what got me thinking, the bullet is still well back into the case taking up powder space. If one were to load a 300 WSM in a long action you could seat the bullet (talking 215 hybrids here) out to the point that the bearing surface was half way up the neck and boat tail no longer intruded on the case. In a competition setup I've run the 215 at 2550 from a 308 set up for it so I'm familiar with reloading the bullet.

Has anyone compared the two in this configuration? i'm sure someone has, but I haven't found it. In any case, F-open shooters run the 215 in the 2900ish range from the WSM in single shot long seated configuration with 30-32 inch tubes. If one assumes about 25 fps/in that's in the range of 2800 FPS from a 26" with less powder. What I'm reading here about the 215 in the WM points to about a 2800 FPS load when paired up with H1000, so it's beginning to look close to a tie.

I've got a rack full of barrels that I have shot out for competition shooting chambered in 308 from my FTR rifles, but any of them could be cut back 3 inches and re-chambered and would make really accurate barrels for a hunting rifle and I am wondering if chambering one in WSM and putting it in a long action is worth it, but I'd rather not re-discover something that someone else has already done.

I think youre still talking about a 50' or more advantage to the WM.
Your rationale is sound though as far as efficiency of the two.
I have a 300 Sherman Max with ADG head stamp brass that would be a good option as well if youre interested. It should run the 215 at 2950-3000' with a 26" barrel.

Thank you. I may never take this anywhere but I'm pulling a fluted 30" 1:10 off of one of my 308s this yr that would make a dandy 26" barrel. Though even fluted its would be on the heavy side for a hunting rifle.

My brother had a 300 wm re chambered to 300 wsm. It's a fast barrel. With RL 26 he is shooting the 215 @2960. His barrel was 25" when it was the 300 wm. Not sure how long now that it's a 300 wsm. It's on a tikka so plenty of room to seat the bullets out there.

From long range only the guy loads the 300 WIN mag and the 30 Nos with the same powders and the 300 Win mag is same with the 30 nos. So I think the win mag is going to outrun the 300WSM. But they are both custom guns so the mag may be setup for is one.

From long range only the guy loads the 300 WIN mag and the 30 Nos with the same powders and the 300 Win mag is same with the 30 nos. So I think the win mag is going to outrun the 300WSM. But they are both custom guns so the mag may be setup for is one.

]

Did you see him run both guns to pressure? Was it the same brand of brass? Do you honestly think a shorter fatter cartridge that has more capacity is going to shoot the same velocity at the same pressure as a longer skinnier cartridge with less capacity?

That review is meh.....

I've done a good number of 300 wins and started doing more throated out WSMs on med length actions everything is throated for the 215. With R26 and 24in barrels we're usually at a nice node around 2900. Today I don't think I'd chamber myself a 300 win anymore, between the WSM and the next step with Rich's 300 MAX and the 300 PRC to me the Win is done.

30 nosler will run well in you're rifle as is right now. Will give an upgrade in velocity and recoil to boot.

I don't think the 300 win will ever die out. I would expect to see the Rum go before the win, even though I have a RUM. There is just to many out there and its still being chambered by factory dealers in there top of the line rifles that they make. Is been a bench mark for so long for large game. That's like saying the 7mm Rem mag will die out to another 7mm. I can't see it happening either. I don't think the 6.5 creed moor will ever die either. Just go look in the stores. 3 most common calibers I seen at Scheels with the 6.5 taking the lead by a long shot. Just my thoughts and what I have seen on the shelves at the big box stores.

I don't think the 300 win will ever die out. I would expect to see the Rum go before the win, even though I have a RUM. There is just to many out there and its still being chambered by factory dealers in there top of the line rifles that they make. Is been a bench mark for so long for large game. That's like saying the 7mm Rem mag will die out to another 7mm. I can't see it happening either. I don't think the 6.5 creed moor will ever die either. Just go look in the stores. 3 most common calibers I seen at Scheels with the 6.5 taking the lead by a long shot. Just my thoughts and what I have seen on the shelves at the big box stores.

I agree. Some cartridges are here to stay, and will always have a strong following. You just named a couple of strong candidates. Another is the 308. Darn near everything outperforms the 308, but bunches of guys still use it for everything. It's also a measuring stick for comparing other cartridges.

There will be new cartridges that do well, too. Some will employ new concepts, and some new concepts won't work any better than the tried & true concepts. Lots of shooters will have a ton of fun working the bugs out of these cartridges, and we'll all learn new tricks from their work.

Most of the new stuff is going to come from new bullet designs, and the new bullets are what is going to force the issue with developing new cartridges.

When you say outperform, I think of accuracy not speed. If you want speed, the wm will give you a bit more. If you want accuracy, the wsm will be more accurate. I know I just offended some, but look here. Plus I've owned 3 of each and helped load for many more. Wsm has been more accurate in my experience

Attachments

• 1E2E4586-B98E-498D-9174-79F369C853CE.png
    1E2E4586-B98E-498D-9174-79F369C853CE.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.