.300Wby Ultra Light Report

victor

Hi All,

Here is a mini Report on the .300Wby Ultra light rifle.

I bought this rifle in December of 04'. It had a problem with extracting fired cases. It extracted 50% of the time. The other half of the time I had to insert a cleaning rod down the bore and push out the spent case.

Contacted Weatherby and they said to take it to a local rep.
Did that. Got the rifle back 3 months later with no improvement. Contacted Weatherby again and they said to send it to them. After replacing the extractor, some polishing and who knows what else they did, it seems to extract reliably. Another month later I finally received my new rifle in working order. Nevertheless, I feel the rifle was overpriced for the quality. Accuracey is OK,(had to test a lot of loads to finally get something decent) I guess for a production rifle. Sure does look nice though.

Can't wait to wear out the barrel and have either Kirby or Chris put a new barrel on it. Not sure which Smith is better. I will have to send a rifle to each of them and compare the results. All kidding aside, thanks to the both of you guys for teaching the rest of us how rifles and their accessories work. I learn a little something each time I come to this site.

Pics with targets attached, I hope!

By the way, I saw a post regarding targets earlier. My targets consist of 4 targets on 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper(see easy to photocopy). This saves a lot of paper as I can shoot 4 different loads at one piece of paper, I then save my targets, punch them with a hole punch and put them in a 3 ring binder for future reference. It's a handy way to organize your data. [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image]

End of Report,
Take care all,
Vic

P.S. If somebody was to have a new barrel made and they wanted to paint the fluted grooves black, just like on the original Weatherby rifles, how would you do that, what kind of paint?

Victor I would use stove paint for that job and an atrists brush or a piece of foam shaped to the flute.

Looks like you had one load shooting .69 for 3 shots and MRP powder. With factory lightweight barrel, that is as good as anyone can reasonably expect. Suggest you keep as is IF putting out that kind of group. That is great for lightweight factory gun. Weatherby action is not normally the start of a custom rig, plus cost of work, barrel and another stock as that one is for light barrel, makes it better off to start with something else.

Looks like another year before someone starts importing MRP back into the US so hang onto it.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.